People on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
jonny jeez said:
I'm not so sure...300 yards is a heck of a distance to be "exposed"

Depends..

I have a similar right turn off a dual carriageway on one regular route.

If I move into the right hand lane at about 250 yards (if the road is clear and fast moving) I can see traffic behind me at a distance, and they can see me take the lane in plenty of time with no surprises for anyone

If I leave it later, because the road I am on sweeps around to the left, I can see just far enough to be ALMOST sure it is safe under normal circumstances but not far enough to see if there is an ambulance with lights but no siren or a corsa with silly bodykit teararsing up the road

However if there is a strong headwind or my legs aren't working then I may choose to stay left longer and take the short detour provided by cycle paths and toucans.

It all depends on rider speed and road conditions, no road is exactly the same and no day is exactly the same

snorri

Legendary Member
HaloJ said:
was very embarrassed
Don't be upset HaloJ, just keep pedalling and posting.:smile:

J-HO

No worries HaloJ and BentMikey, sometimes harsh is the only way to learn but I didnt find it particularly harsh.

I was in the right hand lane because I was turning right and there isn't usually any traffic in the right lane and wasn't on the said day.

But I think I'll go left in future and cross over further up.

boydj

Legendary Member
gouldina said:
Well obviously the driver didn't do the right thing there but why were you in the right lane? Were you going to turn right? If not, you would've been better off on the left I would've thought.

I don't think you are correct here. The highway code says something along the lines of - in a one-way system get into the appropriate lane for your destination at the earliest opportunity.

Tynan

Veteran
I'm perfectly happy with POB, it means what it says and at one time at least it was in common use on here, not sure when we all got so happy clappy

there are lots of compotent and responsible driver and plenty of idiots that drive in an irresponsible and incompetent manner with no care or consideration for others, no idea what they;re called but they;'re different to the first class of driver

I see lots of people crashing along on buggered old mtb with the chain squealing, the tyres soft and brakes that are metal on metal, things rattling and not a care in the world for anyone but themselves, I call them POBS because they are

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
J-HO said:
No worries HaloJ and BentMikey, sometimes harsh is the only way to learn but I didnt find it particularly harsh.

I was in the right hand lane because I was turning right and there isn't usually any traffic in the right lane and wasn't on the said day.

But I think I'll go left in future and cross over further up.

Interesting that you had the the guts to ask the question , set yourself up for criticism and reflect on the responces and arrive at your own choice in a positive way, good for you.

the mere fact that you felt you did something wrong shows that you can take something from this that you can put into your cycling bag of experience and use later.

Have fun riding

dondare

Über Member
If all people on bikes are cyclists, then the reality is that in London the majority of cyclists are antisocial, ignorant idiots.

Top Bottom