Person playing loud music walking down our street in middle of night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wouldn't give up on the Police just yet. This guy is hardly likely to be just playing music on your street - enough complaints and they'll have to take action or you can escalate.

Is there a Neighbourhood Watch in the area? Or other areas close by? They'll have contacts in the Police and be able to organise a campaign.

I wouldn't be confronting him alone. As above, he may be unaware of what he is doing or it could get a whole lot worse!

Keep a log, keep complaining, build up as accurate a pattern as you can.

Finally, there's a story told of a farmer who had trouble with people on his farm late at night. The Police wouldn't get involved as it wasn't serious enough. One night the farmer's wife rang the Police with the message that there were intruders and her husband had gone out with his shotgun.
The Police showed up!

Good luck!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Fit double glazing.:becool:

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Wait in your garden for him with your super-duper ghetto blaster, and play something awful like ‘the birdy song’ back at greater volume than his music.

That, or, abattery operated Bluetooth speaker hidden in the bush with a police siren played back?

Brandane

Legendary Member
I doubt he's committing any actual offence.
In Scottish law he certainly is! However I'm not sure of the English legal position, but they must have an equivalent to our breach of the peace, or Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 section 54.
I personally used the latter to great effect, as it also allows the confiscation of the offending device to be used as evidence. The offence doesn't have to be committed in a public place either; I have used that legislation to enter private houses to put a stop to the annoying feckers (and left with their precious hi-fi systems, and usually the offender in handcuffs as well, since they never take kindly to being told they can't do what they like in their own home).
Your biggest obstacle as you know, will be finding an officer to actually attend when needed!

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
About five years ago I caught an arsonist in the act, marched him round to the local cop shop (when we had one), and waited outside with him for about half an hour before anyone was 'available' (even though I could see actual police officers through the windows). Now that the nearest nick is 10 miles away I don't hold out much hope of them turning up with lights flashing 'cos I'm annoyed at being woken up again.
Mind you, they were all over the place a few weeks ago when a bloke a few doors down was dealing in the back ally, so maybe if I called in a suspected drug deal being negotiated under the cover of loud music......

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Having read your thread, as someone said j keep a log etc, but perhaps start by politely asking him to be quiet? What / why he is doing it, could he use earphones etc as impact on you and possibly others (e.g. if a neighbourhood watch?) & then take it from there

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
I was woken up recently by a car parked outside my house with loud music on at about 1 am. I stuck my nearest jeans and T-shirt on - happened to be my Motorhead shirt - strode outside and stuck my head in the car window and asked them to turn the farking noise down (and me a trainee priest as well . . . ).

Anyway, it scared the crap out of them and they apologised and drove off. Meanwhile Mrs WTT was sat up in bed praying I wouldn't be stabbed!

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't see any point in videoing him, police won't be interested, the nick just down the road shut last year and I expect they've got about half a dozen coppers on duty for the whole county at that time of day, besides, I doubt he's committing any actual offence.
I suppose I could decide to wash down my front path, it would be an accident when I chucked a bucket of water over him as I wasn't expecting anyone to be on the pavement at that time:whistle:
You're correct. They wouldn't be interested as he's not doing anything they have the power to deal with, at least in England and Wales. As many people as they want can complain, but the po-lice have no powers to deal with noise nuisance. Jesus, Mary and Trump could complain and it won't alter the fact that the Feds can do nob all to stop him.

It'd require a CBO to give his actions a power of arrest, which would generally fall to the carncil to obtain, but how theyd go about doing that in this instance is anyones guess as they presumably don't even know his identity.

I suspect that before long someone will give this lad a good poke and the problem will resolve itself.

Finally, there's a story told of a farmer who had trouble with people on his farm late at night. The Police wouldn't get involved as it wasn't serious enough. One night the farmer's wife rang the Police with the message that there were intruders and her husband had gone out with his shotgun.
The Police showed up...

...and confiscated his shotgun and withdrew his licence. Bullsheet the Feds to get them to turn up and you'll be the one getting the attention for public order offences, maliciousmcomms, or making a false report. It doesn't go down like the fairytales would have the gullible believe.

Last edited:
62Noise in streets.E+W
(1)Subject to the provisions of this section, a loudspeaker in a street shall not be operated—

(a)between the hours of nine in the evening and eight in the following morning, for any purpose;

(b)At any other time, for the purpose of advertising any entertainment, trade or business;

and any person who operates or permits the operation of a loudspeaker in contravention of this subsection shall be guilty of an offence against this Part of this Act.

[F1In this section] “street” means a highway and any other road, footway, square or court which is for the time being open to the public.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/40/section/62

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Actually, I have often pondered an idea, connected to this problem, but, don't have the technical know how to achieve it.

I have usually considered it to a possible deterrent to to the idiots who drive around with music blaring so loud it can be heard outside the car, and/or the have their windows open, thus polluting the rest of the world with their choice of music, but, I suppose, it would be applicable in your example too?

Would it be possible to make a small electronic gizmo, which could emit a signal which would fry the circuits in the music source, and/or the car's ECU? ;)
Would a taser do the job? 🤔

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Actually, I have often pondered an idea, connected to this problem, but, don't have the technical know how to achieve it.

I have usually considered it to a possible deterrent to to the idiots who drive around with music blaring so loud it can be heard outside the car, and/or the have their windows open, thus polluting the rest of the world with their choice of music, but, I suppose, it would be applicable in your example too?

Would it be possible to make a small electronic gizmo, which could emit a signal which would fry the circuits in the music source, and/or the car's ECU? ;)
Some form of directional electromagnetic pulse gun?

MntnMan62

Über Member
If he's just walking, call the police. There is a pretty good chance the officer will come upon him playing the music because the guy won't hear the officer coming up behind him. And he'll be out there a while since you said he's walking. That's probably your best bet. Another option is if you have a big scary dog, send your dog after him. He'll never come back down your block again.

Top Bottom