Pet Hates things you hate that other road users do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brommie77

All of the above, and one more, the impatient driver who overtakes me only to jam on his brakes and make a right or left turn less than 50 metres after they have passed me, and if I'm doing 20+mph and there is no escape route I tend to use words my mother wouldn't be entirely happy with.

+1 to that

I think my biggest annoyance is 'inconsideration'; I can tolerate a close pass but it really annoys me when they didn't need to (outside lane was empty), likewise SMIDBL (Sorry Mate I Didn't Bother Looking) annoy me, or the 'its only a bike' brigade !

Sheep really anoy me too (not the wooly kind ;) ); folk who assume as it was clear for the first driver so it must be clear for them!

I think next on the ever extending list, would be 'must overtake cyclist' autobots, only to do so and find they can't go any where and slam on their brakes block/ my path.

The indicator thing used to annoy me more but folk use them that wrong or not at all, I tend to ignore them these days. It still a bit irritating however, when something comes towards me on a roundabout only to leave at the exit before my entry and doesn't indicate.

joolsybools

Tailgating and drafting
RLJing by motorists and cyclists
mobile phone use ditto
undertaking by cyclists/motorcyclists
inability of people to think more than 1 second ahead
vehicles in ASL box thing

grrrrr mumble mumble!

:biggrin:

fimm

Veteran
And one more ...

cars who sit on my tail when I'm driving because I won't force my way past that cyclist / horse / break the speed limit / whatever else it is they would do but I won't (because obviously I'm a perfect driver and they're not.)

+1

Bigsharn

Veteran
Left hooks are the main thing that annoys me... But another two on the list are overtaking without giving room and overtaking and braking hard.

There's no need for it at all.

Jezston

Über Member
Cars that slowly move forward continuously when 'stopped' at red lights. Taxis round here seem to be particularly fond of doing this, especially into ASL boxes, if they aren't in them already.

Molecule Man

Obviously there are all the usual dangerous and inconsiderate things that motorists do to cyclists, but somehow the thing that really makes me angry is the way some motorists behave at pedestrian crossings.
The two main types of inconsiderate behaviour that make me furious are:
1. When drivers creep across pedestrian crossings in heavy traffic, so that the crossing is blocked when the lights change. Bus drivers are the worst here, if they block the crossing, you can't even see if the lights have changed in your favour.
2. When they start moving as soon as the lights turn amber, even if there are still people crossing. I've had taxi drivers drive straight at me under these circumstances.

Chilternrides

People who seem to have forgotten the basic rules of queued-up traffic:

1. If you are in a queue approaching a ped. crossing don't roll partially onto the damn thing, stop at the correct place before, and not on the crossing; you'll probably have a fighting chance of seeing what colour the light is too and then behave appropriately.

2. Don't overtake and then cut in on the approach to a box junction only to find you haven't got an exit from it - well done, every direction is now successfully blocked you twerp.

My other one is those who have also forgotten, or chosen to ignore what the traffic light sequences really mean.
Green-Amber-Red - When the amber is showing in this sequence it means stop, not drop a gear and floor it, frightening the sh!t out of anyone ahead of you. (This is the one occasion when I will forgive a cyclist RLJ - shouted and tutted at is better than squashed).

Sam Kennedy

The "I have a car, get out of my way because I'm more important and need to get everywhere quickly" attitude.

OP
OP
markharry66

markharry66

Über Member
I remember this one people who pull of a side road on the main road turning right trying bully their way in who block the road so everyone has to wait for them.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
On the bike:
People who try to overtake at pinch-points (usually taxis).

People who try to overtake me, even when my arm is outstretched and I'm clearly indicating that I'm turning right (usually taxis).

In the car, it's tailgating (usually by taxis).

On the motorbike, it's tw@ts who try to block me when I'm filtering (usually taxis).

campbellab

Most of the above, and I guess I can't say I'm not guilty of any though, worst habit probably following others around obstruction without waiting for a full view.

Only annoyance to add, people who stop at the start of the broken lines when merging in to slow traffic. Theres 500 yards of slip to keep traffic flowing yet there's that daft instinct that you are 'pushing in' if you use the road as it was meant, and end up holding everyone even more.

This gets to me, its safer for them to reverse into their drive, when they have full vision of the road - short sighted and lazy is what it is.

Over the winter I found I drove out in decent light, and get home in pitch black, so in those cases I have far more visibility. I also pity people who have to reverse into driveways on mainroads I wouldn't enjoy crawling to a stop and hoping that someone doesn't stop right behind :ohmy:

Oh and cycling annoyances to keep it on topic:

Left hooks! Grr!

huttster

Drivers who look straight at me,definately see me,then just as i reach them they are either possesed by satan or have the memory of a goldfish and pull out anyway!They think if they look away i'm not there :angry: ,reminds me of playing hide and seek with my daughter,she stands in full view and just shuts her eyes.1..2..3..4..5.......

Top Bottom