Petition: 30 km/h (20 mp/h) urban speed limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

But I trust his tenuous references to studies and "world views" more than I do your logic and 'personal observations'? Particular as your own choice in motoring is questionable, to say the least.

You mean the motorbike ?

Linford

Deary me, you are in a snit. The studies are easy to find (we know that you google a lot). Here's a few to get you started:

The COBA Manual
Improving traffic behaviour and safety through urban design
Traffic Flow Control using Variable Speed Limits

So what you are saying really is that be reducing the speed limit to 20mph, you bring the cars together, and by leaving it at 30mph, they actually bunch more at junctions....if they are bunching more at junctions, then the gaps between them on the open stretches of roads are actually going to widen....bigger gaps, the easier it becomes for traffic to join the flow..... which is what I have been saying all along :thumbsup:

Linford

[QUOTE 2335419, member: 45"]I thought I'd pop you off the ignore to see how you were getting on. And this....

So what you're saying is that it's easier for traffic to join the flow at points between junctions than at junctions?

Think....very....carefully...about....what....you....just....said....[/quote]
Junctions at which the traffic is obliged to stop at, not junctions which traffic are trying to enter it by. Are we not trying to make it easier for traffic to join the flows by creating bigger gaps for them to jump into ?

These ignore lists are good aren't they :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
This is getting tiresome - really tiresome. I started this thread because I thought it was an important issue and worth an intelligent discussion. As I'm the OP, everyone knows what my views are, but I'm quite prepared to read thoughtful and well-phrased posts that argue against my opinion. But Linford's trolling has destroyed that possibility. Now most of the people who could have contributed in a positive way have probably stopped watching this thread - and I'm about to hit the unwatch button myself. I now see why Linford has a reputation for derailing every thread he joins. Shame.

Linford

This is getting tiresome - really tiresome. I started this thread because I thought it was an important issue and worth an intelligent discussion. As I'm the OP, everyone knows what my views are, but I'm quite prepared to read thoughtful and well-phrased posts that argue against my opinion. But Linford's trolling has destroyed that possibility. Now most of the people who could have contributed in a positive way have probably stopped watching this thread - and I'm about to hit the unwatch button myself. I now see why Linford has a reputation for derailing every thread he joins. Shame.

What you are really saying is that it is ok for people to contribute as long as their views are in line with yours. You didn't want debate, you just wanted assent....

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
What you are really saying is that it is ok for people to contribute as long as their views are in line with yours. You didn't want debate, you just wanted assent....

Do you read anything? I said in the very post you quoted that I was very happy to have contributions from people whose views differed from mine - but your recent drivel has bored people off this thread. Here is a post I thought was expressed well but wasn't of my opinion. The fact that some members have placed you on their ignore list shows I'm not alone in getting tired of your trolling. As for me, I have more important things to do than re-read the same rubbish; so I'm not watching this thread anymore - at least until you get off it.

Linford

Do you read anything? I said in the very post you quoted that I was very happy to have contributions from people whose views differed from mine - but your recent drivel has bored people off this thread. Here is a post I thought was expressed well but wasn't of my opinion. The fact that some members have placed you on their ignore list shows I'm not alone in getting tired of your trolling. As for me, I have more important things to do than re-read the same rubbish; so I'm not watching this thread anymore - at least until you get off it.

Your POV is as valid or invalid as mine. I've looked to steer it back to the issue of lower limits, but there are people who would rather play the person than the ball.

Additionally which hasn't been covered is that a 20mph limit makes it virtually impossible for large vehices to get past any one doing 12-15mph....which then means that the limits become whatever that person is doing for anything behind it as they have to spend an unacceptable time on the wrong side of the road to get past.

Linford

Of course, exactly the same applies when the limit is 30, 40, or 50 mph.

It is the time they take on the other side of the road which is my concern. If you force them to crawl past because of a lower limt, they will spend more time looking at the clock and increases the risk of them cutting back in early and taking a cyclist out or hitting something coming the other way.

Linford

[QUOTE 2336355, member: 45"]Attitude linf. Horrific attitude. And yours this time.

No-one forces a large vehicle to overtake with a 5mph speed differential in a 20mph limit.

You have soooo much to learn.[/quote]

20mph limits have their place, but not on every single urban road. I say keep things as they are and examine the issue road by road. If you put a 20mph limit inaround a school, then people will respect that more for that reason. put them in everywhere, and they will get ignored
Incidentally, do you know which type of road the most deaths occur in the UK ?

Top Bottom