Peugeot 80's bottom bracket spindle/axle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I have removed the bottom bracket, The cups look fine. but the spindle race is slightly pitted. I can not find a replacement on Ebay.

The part is stamped 121->
It measures
A=32
B=55
C=34
It also has 3 stars stamped on it
So these measurements add up to the 121. Any ideas where these can be found? Its is a pretty standard Pug.

An aside. The NDS was a pig to get off. Penetrating oil, and a cold chisel! I was expecting the DS to be worse, but no, a couple of taps on the tool with a hammer and off it came.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
https://sheldonbrown.com/velos.html#bottom claims JIS Italian spindles (codes starting with a 5) will often work but I've no experience of Pugs. I also can't find anyone selling those lengths new (unlike codes starting 2 or 3).

iluvmybike

Über Member
Measure the shell width of the frame at the bottom bracket. It should be either 68 or 73mm. Then measure the length of the spindle/axle. Are the cups british thread or italian? Important to know before u buy
If british thread then a Shimano UN54 cartridge bottom bracket unit can be obtained in a 122.5mm axle length. So if your shell width is 68mm and the axle is 121mm then you buy the 68x122.5mm unit

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
Sorry yes its 68. I am assuming it is British. The Drive side is reverse threaded. I was hoping to keep it original, but I may go the cartridge way.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sorry yes its 68. I am assuming it is British. The Drive side is reverse threaded. I was hoping to keep it original, but I may go the cartridge way.
That's strange. I thought a 68mm shell usually has B = 52mm (JIS spindles with codes starting 3). Did the adjustable cup have a lot of thread sticking out?

iluvmybike

Über Member
Yes if DS is reverse thread then it is british. I have some old type bb as i do some refurbs so if u put a photo on here I can have a look and see if can match for u?

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
Yes if DS is reverse thread then it is british. I have some old type bb as i do some refurbs so if u put a photo on here I can have a look and see if can match for u?
peugotSpindle2.jpg

Colin_P

Guru
I've recently done up my old Pug from the same era and fitted a Shimano UN55 sealed bottom bracket.

It depends if you are keeping the bike or punting it on, but £10 - £15 on a UN54 or UN55 is money well spent if you are keeping it.

My adventures doing up my Pug might be worth a gander;
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/1984-peugeot-nothing-special-equipe-modernisation-project.224294/

si_c

Guru
With my 80s pug (British thread BB) I replaced the cup and cone BB with a Shimano cartridge setup and kept the original chainset, it was the least maintenance option, and having got another pug with a French thread BB it was definitely the best way forward.

Don't worry too much about the taper, it will work, just put a touch of grease on the inside of the cranks, and that will reduce any creaking.

Ultimately though I upgraded the drivetrain to 105 as the 52/42 was a bit too hard. So might be worth considering replacing the cranks anyway.

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
With my 80s pug (British thread BB) I replaced the cup and cone BB with a Shimano cartridge setup and kept the original chainset, it was the least maintenance option, and having got another pug with a French thread BB it was definitely the best way forward.

Don't worry too much about the taper, it will work, just put a touch of grease on the inside of the cranks, and that will reduce any creaking.

Ultimately though I upgraded the drivetrain to 105 as the 52/42 was a bit too hard. So might be worth considering replacing the cranks anyway.
I can't lose the Peugeot engraved cranks :ohmy:

Top Bottom