Peugeot 80's bottom bracket spindle/axle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
peugeot.jpg

iluvmybike

Über Member
Does the headtube badge tell u anything?

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
Does the headtube badge tell u anything?
I dont have a pic of the head tube with me. It has the "carbolite" "made in France" sticker.
It has a label which says P10 60 + some numbers under that which under the BB.

It has Lyotard pedals and as above, a Maillard freewheel. Simplex gears.

Last edited:

Colin_P

Guru
That looks very similar to mine and a UN55 went straight in on mine.

Have you dated it or done your best to? Easiest way is to split one of the Weinmann calipers which will have a year stamp on them. Mine is a 1984 or the brakes were.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I dont have a pic of the head tube with me. It has the "carbolite" "made in France" sticker.
It has a label which says P10 60 + some numbers under that which under the BB.

It has Lyotard pedals and as above, a Maillard freewheel. Simplex gears.
The 'carbolite' was used by Peugot in their frame manufacturing so suggests it is a Peugot?

midlife

Guru
It certainly looks very much like a Peugeot, the method of joining the tubes without lugs was peculiar so going to have a Google. Over BB cables so that's my era :smile:

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist

Have you dated it or done your best to? Easiest way is to split one of the Weinmann calipers which will have a year stamp on them. Mine is a 1984 or the brakes were.
Thanks for that Colin. I am out tonight but will take a look. I would like to be able to put a date to it. The guy I bought it off says he used it to go to college on it. He looked as though he was in his 50's. So late 70's early 80's would be my guess.

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist

The calipers are Wienmann type 500. On the inside the only marking is 00

Colin_P

Guru
What like this, pic is one I've just found online and shows March 1985 ?

6471034705_9d7eb90a10_b.jpg

What might be best for you is to take your bike / frame off the bike shop for advice on the BB.

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
What like this, pic is one I've just found online and shows March 1985 ?

View attachment 383625

What might be best for you is to take your bike / frame off the bike shop for advice on the BB.
I fitted the new axle and new bearings today. It is all back together. I didn't see those markings in the caliper (rear) Ill take the front off tomorrow and see if it is dated.
I also stripped the rear wheel bearings ready to replace and noticed the axle is bent. I have ordered a new one!

Top Bottom