Peugeot 80's bottom bracket spindle/axle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
View attachment 381551
I know I'm no David Bailey, but here is the pitting.
I'd either try sourcing a replacement axle, either new or of the same vintage, or use a cartridge BB. I'm no expert, but the hardened surface has worn off a bit there, so my understanding is that the rest will wear quicker now, meaning it's useful life is diminished. That's not to say you can't use it, but it might start feel rougher and develop a bit of play, but with decent bearings and plenty of thick grease you should be ok for while before it becomes unusable.

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
I'd either try sourcing a replacement axle, either new or of the same vintage, or use a cartridge BB. I'm no expert, but the hardened surface has worn off a bit there, so my understanding is that the rest will wear quicker now, meaning it's useful life is diminished. That's not to say you can't use it, but it might start feel rougher and develop a bit of play, but with decent bearings and plenty of thick grease you should be ok for while before it becomes unusable.
I think I will go the cartridge route as the spindle is not available, but keep my eye on Ebay to see if any pop up. What I don't understand is that there are so many Pugs around, why this is proving so hard to come by.
Thanks for all your replies and advice.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

How close were the offerings from SJSC? I think as long as the overall length is the near enough and the space between the bearing faces is the same you should be ok.

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
How close were the offerings from SJSC? I think as long as the overall length is the near enough and the space between the bearing faces is the same you should be ok.

It states that it for a 70 shell (5S), but Sheldon says they can work if the races are thin.

A= 37mm
B= 54mm
C= 35.5mm
D= 126.5mm

chriscross1966

Über Member
Warlands stock loose bottom bracket components, I've got some to help me work out what I need to do to fit an expensive Campagnolo square taper BB in a Brompton... THat said those old things are pretty crude.... the Shimano UN55 will be a religious revalation after the old one, or you could go full Mopndy and get a secondhand Campagnolo crankset from one of the earlier lower-groupset ultratorque ranges (they did them down to Mirage at one point).... surprisingling inexpensive if you buy secondhand off ebay and fit new bearings if required..... it is like cycling on a block of butter, it's that smooth...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If the pitting is only on half of the shaft aligning it so that portion is on the 'upstroke' (i.e. not directly 'load-bearing') may give an acceptable smoothness.

Can you find an old 'well established' bike shop, in Leicester there's one that has all kinds of NOS spares that modern bike shops just don't sell and I bet if I took that BB shaft in there then John would have something very close (if not exact) in.

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
If the pitting is only on half of the shaft aligning it so that portion is on the 'upstroke' (i.e. not directly 'load-bearing') may give an acceptable smoothness.

Can you find an old 'well established' bike shop, in Leicester there's one that has all kinds of NOS spares that modern bike shops just don't sell and I bet if I took that BB shaft in there then John would have something very close (if not exact) in.
I have ordered a sealed bearing, but i will keep my eye open for one. According to Sheldon there is a 5N which is for 70 shell but the sizes look good, only problem is I cant find any reference other than Sheldon

5N
Shell 70

Overall length 122

A 32
B 55
C 35

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
I ordered a sealed unit and it does not fit. I got my thread gauge out and my Peugeot is 26 tpi. That caught me out. I never even considered this. The drive side is left hand thread, the threads are 26 tpi, I am confused. Raleigh?

si_c

Guru
I'm going to suggest that you've measured the bottom bracket incorrectly. Peugeots followed the french threaded bottom brackets through to the late 1970s and early 1980s, where they switched to BSA threaded bottom brackets. Your choices for a Peugeot therefore are having a 1mm thread with a 68mm shell, and both sides are right hand threaded, or you have a regular BSA shell with 24tpi x 68mm shell and a left hand threaded fixed cup side.

If you have a left hand threaded drive side, and 26tpi, you don't have a Peugeot.

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
Well its not a Peugeot then. The 24 tpi does not thread in and my thread gauge confirms the original cups are 26 tpi.
Anyyhoo I have found an Solida axle on Ebay with the same measurements. I will use this with the original cups as they look perfect.

Spindle overall length approx. 121mm. original stamped as 121mm
Drive side approx. 33.5mm. my original measurement 34mm
Non drive side approx. 31.5mm. my original measurement 32mm
Centre approx. 56mm. my original measurement 55mm

So happy days.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Well its not a Peugeot then. The 24 tpi does not thread in and my thread gauge confirms the original cups are 26 tpi.
Anyyhoo I have found an Solida axle on Ebay with the same measurements. I will use this with the original cups as they look perfect.

Spindle overall length approx. 121mm. original stamped as 121mm
Drive side approx. 33.5mm. my original measurement 34mm
Non drive side approx. 31.5mm. my original measurement 32mm
Centre approx. 56mm. my original measurement 55mm

So happy days.
Any idea what it is? Was it painted up as a Peugeot when you got it?

Top Bottom