Phew...it's a start!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Managed to squeeze in another 15 miles this evening, so feeling a bit better about myself, just so busy at the moment that it's really hard to get some training in, but I suppose even relatively short distances are better than nothing and should help build up fitness...at least I hope so! :smile:

longers

Legendary Member
Short rides are better than no rides and your positive attitude will do wonders for you as well.

Danny

Legendary Member
I wouldn't worry.

As far as I can see from the Amsterdame itinerary the trip is really an excuse for an extended party over three days with with some gentle cycling in between to help you recover :smile:

Right you!

Here's my suggested training schedule, given you've managed what, 35 miles this week?. You need to make a bit of a jump and stop kiddin' around, or we'll be wanting our sponsor money back :smile:

week beginning:-

Next week - 3 rides, 45 miles
6 April Minimum 60 miles in 3 rides
13 April Minimum 65 in 3 rides
20 April Minimum 70 in 4 rides
27 April minimum 80 in 4 rides 2 back to back
4 May Minimum 90 in 3 rides - 2 back to back, 1 50 miler
11 May Minimum 90 miles in 4 rides 2 back to back (20 & 20, rest day, 2 back to back (15 & 35)
18 May 40 miles in 3 rides, a 20 and two easy tens back to back

You've got 210 miles to do in 3 days with a hangover on each one. So really you should also increase your units of alchohol each week too :biggrin:

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
I'll get there, honest!!! And I will NOT have a hangover (not a big drinker actually, so that one is relatively easy). In fact, if I stick to the schedule they have given us, I'm not too far off plan either (but yes, I admit more would be better at this point :smile:):

"As a very rough guide, I would be hoping that you can complete the following distances at least once a week to best prepare yourselves. Don’t worry if you don’t think that this is possible – I promise you that we’ll get you to Amsterdam and back no matter what! But if you put the effort in now, your trip will be a much more comfortable one!

Weeks to go: Miles to ride:

14 --- 6-10
12 --- 8-12
10 --- 10-14
8 --- 15-20
6 --- 20-25
4 --- 25-30
2 --- 30+
0 --- 60+ J (scary huh?!)

Please don’t worry if you don’t have the time to go out once a week, but please be prepared for a much less comfortable trip than those who can (extra padding reqd!!)."

My consolation is that people without any training on supermarket full sussers apparently got there in the end last year... However, I would much rather do it comfortably!!! Hopefully, I should be able to up the mileage a bit after next week, will have a big piece of college work out of the way then (more too come, but this one has been dragging on forever :biggrin:)

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Dannyg said:
I wouldn't worry.

As far as I can see from the Amsterdame itinerary the trip is really an excuse for an extended party over three days with with some gentle cycling in between to help you recover xx(

PAH!!! :blush::sad:

PS If one of you guys is Mangaman, then thanks a lot for sponsoring me despite my appalling training achievements!!!! :smile::biggrin:

Is that what they recommend. Wow! That's not a lot of miles preparation. Still I guess they have experience of chivvying everyone along on the day. I would still aim to do more though, you'll enjoy it more then.

I'm sure you'll both get there. My post was tongue in cheek to scare you :smile:

It'll be great. I would add a bit to those mileages though and actually ease down in the last week, rather than up.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
I thought their schedule seemed very tame - will definitely try to do more than that, would rather find the ride too easy than too hard!!! And that is very unlikely too happen even with lots of training!

But thanks, you HAVE scared me now!!!! :biggrin: :smile:

longers

Legendary Member
From what I've heard about training, Crackles advice about easing off in the week before is very good advice.

Danny

Legendary Member
* Sat 24th May - Cycle from York Designer Outlet to Hull (52 flat miles) stop for lunch in a pub on the way – take overnight Ferry - Party and Sleep on the boat.

* Sun 25th May – Arrive Rotterdam . Cycle to Amsterdam (70 flat miles) - lunch on the way by the lake. Go out for the night in Amsterdam and sleep in a local hostel.

* Mon 26th May – Depart Amsterdam and head back to Rotterdam past windmills, canals, etc (70 flat miles) – ferry home, party and sleep on the boat

Danny

Legendary Member
punkypossum said:
PAH!!! :blush::sad:

PS If one of you guys is Mangaman, then thanks a lot for sponsoring me despite my appalling training achievements!!!! :smile:xx(

Haven't sponsored you yet, but might have to now to make up for being so rude about your ride :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
Dannyg said:
* Sat 24th May - Cycle from York Designer Outlet to Hull (52 flat miles) stop for lunch in a pub on the way – take overnight Ferry - Party and Sleep on the boat.

* Sun 25th May – Arrive Rotterdam . Cycle to Amsterdam (70 flat miles) - lunch on the way by the lake. Go out for the night in Amsterdam and sleep in a local hostel.

* Mon 26th May – Depart Amsterdam and head back to Rotterdam past windmills, canals, etc (70 flat miles) – ferry home, party and sleep on the boat

You forgot the coming home party and the re-union party :smile:.

C'mon DannyG: Do the sponsorship.

I've got contacts in York who can be instructed to take out a cycling Groucho Marks. They're just a phone call away. Safety is a tenner :smile:

Top Bottom