Photo of the day: cyclist-friendly cafés

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by briantrumpet, 8 May 2016.

Tags:
  1. grecinos likes this.
  2. clid61

clid61 Über Member

Love this place

3. OP
    OP
    briantrumpet

briantrumpet Guru

Ashton's Coffee Lounge in Market Street, Crediton. The coffee (just £1 for an espresso) and homemade cake (£1.60) for a big slice were both good, and they have outdoor and ample indoor seating, with bike racks outside. Really recommended. The photo is of our Paris to Rome reunion ride, and at the end we met some LEJOG riders who braved it over Dartmoor yesterday. If you're passing, it's well worth a visit.

wp-1463919282972.jpg

4. OP
    OP
    briantrumpet

briantrumpet Guru

More's the pity, I was in a car, but at the highest village in England - Allenheads (1340ft above sea level) - is this lovely little café with decent coffee and cakes, plenty of outdoor seating (and some inside) and a bike rack outside..... and free wifi.

wp-1464615015057.jpg

Last edited: 1 Jun 2016
    grecinos likes this.
  5. ItsSteveLovell

ItsSteveLovell Veteran

I haven't a picture to share of the shop, but Absolutely Gorgeous in cheddar are fantastic. Stopped for a cream tea when out on Sunday, it was huge and very enjoyable!

https://instagram.com/p/BGSLHj9C_dz/

6. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Do you mean Simply Gorgeous, opposite The Mousehole, or is there another? Didn't you get any higher up the gorge? ;)

7. ItsSteveLovell

ItsSteveLovell Veteran

That's the one. I've been there a couple of times now and was jealous of those I was riding with when I didn't have the cream tea last time I visited

I've done the gorge too many times to count, but if you're doing it on at weekends I find there's too much traffic between 10.30-5 to actually have a go at it and not have to keep stopping.

mjr likes this.
  8. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Oh yes. As I've opined elsewhere recently, I prefer the Lion Rock, partly because it has seating above/behind, away from the motorists polluting the gorge.

9. ItsSteveLovell

ItsSteveLovell Veteran

Exactly, I only cycle up if it won't have drivers stopping seemingly without warning whilst they search for a parking space

10. Vertego

Vertego Just reflecting on the meaning of life.

Only a village store café, and not a lot of room, but I can't remember ever having just riding past without stopping.

cafe-1.jpg

briantrumpet likes this.
  11. clid61

clid61 Über Member

Yours is the world cafe in parbold right on Leeds Liverpool canal , by
    Brilliant !

12. Capheaton tea room in Northumberland, only opens on weekends but a bit of a Mecca for cyclists. It's like stepping back in time. One of my frequent rides. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

grecinos, briantrumpet and summerdays like this.
  13. Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.

@coffeejo this is one of your locals is it not?

14. coffeejo

coffeejo Ælfrēd

Yup. I've been in several times. Never disappointed. Their cake is superb.

briantrumpet and Hill Wimp like this.
  15. Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.

I missed that one then !!!!!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice