Photo of the day: cyclist-friendly cafés

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Then there's the 'Spotty Cafe' on the A 616, at Langsett

Although, personally, I've not been since before it was polka-dotted, & appeared in the newspapers, & on millions of TV screens during the 2014 Tour de France

Scroll down http://wheelie-good-guys.co.uk/2-great-cafe-stops-for-peak-district-cycling/

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/pete-is-just-dotty-about-le-tour-in-yorkshire-1-6620430

langsett-north-yorkshire-uk-25th-june-2014-cyclist-rachel-goacher-e3mggj.jpg

clid61

Veteran
Littgull, Doughnut and I called in at Rivington Village Green Tea Room yesterday and liked it. A good cycling destination if you live in NW England.
Love this place

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Ashton's Coffee Lounge in Market Street, Crediton. The coffee (just £1 for an espresso) and homemade cake (£1.60) for a big slice were both good, and they have outdoor and ample indoor seating, with bike racks outside. Really recommended. The photo is of our Paris to Rome reunion ride, and at the end we met some LEJOG riders who braved it over Dartmoor yesterday. If you're passing, it's well worth a visit.

wp-1463919282972.jpg

SWSteve

Guru
Do you mean Simply Gorgeous, opposite The Mousehole, or is there another? Didn't you get any higher up the gorge? ;)

That's the one. I've been there a couple of times now and was jealous of those I was riding with when I didn't have the cream tea last time I visited

I've done the gorge too many times to count, but if you're doing it on at weekends I find there's too much traffic between 10.30-5 to actually have a go at it and not have to keep stopping.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've done the gorge too many times to count, but if you're doing it on at weekends I find there's too much traffic between 10.30-5 to actually have a go at it and not have to keep stopping.
Oh yes. As I've opined elsewhere recently, I prefer the Lion Rock, partly because it has seating above/behind, away from the motorists polluting the gorge.

SWSteve

Guru
Oh yes. As I've opined elsewhere recently, I prefer the Lion Rock, partly because it has seating above/behind, away from the motorists polluting the gorge.

Exactly, I only cycle up if it won't have drivers stopping seemingly without warning whilst they search for a parking space

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Having posted a couple of photos of nice cafés this week in the photo of the day thread, I thought it might be nice to have a dedicated thread, as we all like a nice coffee and cake. Any time of the year will do.

Today's offering from me is a new one for me, in Bishops Lydeard, near Taunton. The new owners took over just a couple of weeks ago, and have decided to open on Sundays too for the summer. Very good coffee (as measured by my espresso tasting), and a very large slice of delicious lemon Bakewell tart, all for £4. Sorry, no photo of the cake, so you'll have to make do with one of the café, which is right by the impressive church. They haven't got outside seating, but there is plenty of space and a bench just in the churchyard by the café, and they serve the coffee and cake in/on nice china. Very civilised. The inside seating looked nice, but today was just too nice to be inside.

img_20160508_152808.jpg
@coffeejo this is one of your locals is it not?

Top Bottom