Photo of the day: cyclist-friendly cafés

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Having posted a couple of photos of nice cafés this week in the photo of the day thread, I thought it might be nice to have a dedicated thread, as we all like a nice coffee and cake. Any time of the year will do.

Today's offering from me is a new one for me, in Bishops Lydeard, near Taunton. The new owners took over just a couple of weeks ago, and have decided to open on Sundays too for the summer. Very good coffee (as measured by my espresso tasting), and a very large slice of delicious lemon Bakewell tart, all for £4. Sorry, no photo of the cake, so you'll have to make do with one of the café, which is right by the impressive church. They haven't got outside seating, but there is plenty of space and a bench just in the churchyard by the café, and they serve the coffee and cake in/on nice china. Very civilised. The inside seating looked nice, but today was just too nice to be inside.

img_20160508_152808.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Dove Cottage at Harby Leicester my favourite stop . Charity ran by volunteers service at bit hit and miss but homemade cakes are delicious . Always loads of cyclist well used by local clubs .plenty of bike racks .your more than welcome

Sadly, the best value café in the county has now been demolished ('Dunnies' at Otley)

However, a bit closer to home (for me) are these two;

1. 'Squires' is essentially a bikers café, but I always find space, & generally have a chat with someone or another
Not far off the 'old' A1, or the A162 'Tadcaster Turn-Pike'
http://www.squires-cafe.co.uk/

It can get VERY busy on sunny weekends, & Bank Holidays, then again, I've been on a mid-winters weekday & been the only 2-wheeler in the parking area

Rides. Squires 2. 2.jpg Rides. Squires 2. 3.jpg

2. 'Birkin Fisheries Cafe'
There's not really a website for this one, just recommendations, & a FaceBook page
Like 'Squires', it's not far off the 'old' A1, or the 'Tadcaster Turn-Pike' & was practically passed during Saturdays stage (2nd) of the Tour de Yorkshire

https://www.facebook.com/Birkin-Fisheries-Tea-Room-174943809332954/?fref=ts

If you look at the little map under the picture, the café is along the road leading east (the pond can be seen)
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1611492

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Most cafes in West Norfolk are cyclist friendly. Pubs too. A few cafes like Wells beach distinguish themselves by having their own cycle parks but most pubs with beer gardens will let bikes into them.

Jimidh

Veteran
image.jpeg

The Whistle Cafe in Innerleithen is a great wee cafe for anyone riding in the Tweed Valley.

Great cakes, especially their Carrot Cake, good coffee, warm fire in the winter snd they supply bike locks so you can secure your bike outside the cafe.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Great cakes, especially their Carrot Cake, good coffee, warm fire in the winter snd they supply bike locks so you can secure your bike outside the cafe.
What a great idea to offer locks!

Perhaps I should have titled the thread "Café photo of the day"... or "Cake photo of the day"... some nice ones so far, but more cakes would be good. More cakes are always good.

Reactions: _aD

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What a great idea to offer locks!
Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington in the Ribble Valley do that. They have a box of locks just inside the front door.

The keys for the locks are attached to old disk brake rotors which is a good way of stopping you losing the keys AND of preventing you accidentally riding off with them!

Last edited:
Forgot this one:blush:

The 'Oil Can Cafe'
Hepworth
http://thecardingshed.co.uk/

As you can see from the gallery, there's some great cake, & lots of little shops to look at
Plus, with them sharing premises with a classic-car restorer, there's generally something interesting there (& bikes hanging from rafters)

It was the first time I'd ever seen a Bristol Fighter (a '200 MPH' hand-built, 8-litre V10, powered supercar)
Few photos from my last visit (took daughter, after I'd made her walk round the 'Trunce' course)

P8271032.JPG P8271036.JPG P8271037.JPG
P8271041.JPG P8271042.JPG P8271043.JPG P8271044.JPG P8271047.JPG

2. 'Birkin Fisheries Café'

Should have mentioned, the cakes are fabulous

I'll recommend the Chocolate Orange, & Chocolate Mint......:hungry::hungry:

Forgot this one:blush:

The 'Oil Can Cafe'
Hepworth
http://thecardingshed.co.uk/

As you can see from the gallery, there's some great cake, & lots of little shops to look at
Plus, with them sharing premises with a classic-car restorer, there's generally something interesting there (& bikes hanging from rafters)

It was the first time I'd ever seen a Bristol Fighter (a '200 MPH' hand-built, 8-litre V10, powered supercar)
Few photos from my last visit (took daughter, after I'd made her walk round the 'Trunce' course)

View attachment 127855 View attachment 127856 View attachment 127857
View attachment 127858 View attachment 127859 View attachment 127860 View attachment 127861 View attachment 127862

Should have mentioned, the cakes are fabulous

I'll recommend the Chocolate Orange, & Chocolate Mint......:hungry::hungry:

A brilliant place, have been there a few times.
Also good for evening dance lessons and live music.

Top Bottom