Photos atop your favourite climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Slight variation on the theme, but how about climbs you didn't know were there 'till you got to them (there was a fold in the map!).
Extra points awarded if you took the Mrs on your 30th wedding anniversary and the visibility was 50ft (yes, we are still married).
Santander to Caen 2012 034.JPG

bikeman66

Wednesday 29th April 2015, I had a fantastic ride up Mont Ventoux. Climbed the 21.5km route from the town of Bedoin, with a couple of mates. Took 2hrs -24mins to get up, and a slightly quicker 28 minutes to get back down. We were hoping to go over the summit and make it a circular route down to Malaucene and back to Bedoin. Unfortunately the barrier across the road from the summit was closed, so we had to descend back the way we climbed. 28 minutes of absolute, pure exhilaration, deafening windrush in the ears from the summit down as far as Chalet Reynard, then sweet, fast, technical riding back to a cold beer in the town. Best thing I have (yet) done on two wheels and thoroughly intend to go back some time. Apologies to the pure roadies out there for the fact I'm wearing a Kona MTB jersey and that I have MTB pedals and shoes...........but hey, they work for me! Totally recommend a crack at Mont Ventoux to anyone daft enough to want to cycle uphill for 21.5km's. Absolutely awesome experience!
DSCF5053.JPG
DSCF5055.JPG
DSCF5057.JPG

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm hoping to do some of those climbs others have posted in this thread, but which I haven't done, due to being roughly 10,000 miles away. :sad:

Last year, I booked a French Alps cycling tour, then ended up getting so fed up with all the planning for how to get my bicycle there and back in one piece, that I aborted the whole thing. I recently checked with the tour operators about bicycle hire while over there, and was informed that the tour now includes hire bicycles (very nice ones, too). :smile: Freshly motivated, I booked the tour again. Deposit is paid, and tomorrow I'll be booking the return flight and hotel accommodation for the days just before and after the tour. There will be no backing out, then, especially considering how much it is costing me, thanks to the currency exchange rates for the Australian dollar lately.

This morning, I rode to nearby Mt Dandenong (the source of that last photo I posted near the start of this thread), rode up it twice, and got home about 4 hours later, having done 81km and 1400m climbing. Now my legs are aching a bit, but feeling great.

I'll need lots of practice for this tour, because it is 7 days of cycling, covering 780km and roughly 23,500m climbing. :eek: It goes up about 20 peaks (1 'mont', an 'alp' and the remainder 'cols', to be a bit more precise), and should give me lots of good memories. Bring it on! :hyper:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
that's a great Picture, you should make it into a Christmas card next year. Looks like a watercolour
Thank you :smile:
It's been edited a bit (cropped and tinted) from the original.
The trees are no longer there (part of a plantation).
I still remember the ride well, the pic is taken just before a steep descent, which is hairy at the best of times, let alone with lying snow!
I met one other rider that day, and we went along together for a bit, congratulating each other on getting up in the hills (down below was relatively normal, with only a scattering of snow). But boy, it was COLD! Glad I didn't get a mechanical that day.

Tom B

Guru
Peel Tower, Holcombe Hill I did a few hills in the early hours snow a few weeks ago but my phone gave up after this one :-(

Top Bottom