Photos atop your favourite climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
Me up the Ouka Monster in Marrakech

Attachments

• IMAG1328.jpg
    IMAG1328.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 70

Sharky

Guru
Some great cycling in the hills around here. :smile:
Yes it's a good area. Brought up on Merseyside (Prescot) and in all directions, good cycling routes. Liked the Buxton & back, also the trips into north wales, Llangollen and Glasfryn. But family moved to Kent in 68, where it is still good cycling and hilly, but without the "mountains".

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Is at the bottom of a hill OK?
This is at the bottom of the first of the two hills just west of Ryal, Northumberland. The road is dead straight at this point, and after this hill, there is a short level bit, then another hill just like this, the first being a bit steeper. Short but sharp, they are a well-known local challenge, though I've done them squillions of times now.
In black and white, in an attempt to make it look vaguely arty.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

theloafer

Legendary Member
Is at the bottom of a hill OK?
This is at the bottom of the first of the two hills just west of Ryal, Northumberland. The road is dead straight at this point, and after this hill, there is a short level bit, then another hill just like this, but a wee bit steeper. A local challenge, though I've done them squillions of times now.
In black and white, in an attempt to make it look vaguely arty.

View attachment 118189

is that's on the route of 100 miles northern rock cyclone

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
After Col de Rousset, I guess that my next favourite in the locality would be Col de Menée - not just for the fabulous climb, but the view from just the other side of the eastern ridge of the Vercors plateau and Mont Aiguille is breathtaking... every time I see that, even in a photo, it doesn't quite seem real.

DSC02811.20150331blog.jpg

DSC02813.20150331blog.jpg

@Edwardoka did you ride up at night to get to the Teide at sunrise?
No, hiked up the day before :shy:
(The thread doesn't specifically mention cycling climbs - and I had previously cycled to the place where I started the hike so it still counts :okay:)
I hiked to a place called the Refugio de Altavista, a part-hostel, part-bothy high up on the flank of the volcano.

I, along with some other people, left it at about 4:30am to get to the summit in time for sunrise. A German chap and I were the first two up, and we arrived far too early, at least a couple of hours before sunrise, even taking the heavy snow that fell overnight into account.

It was amazing though, we could see the entire island's street-lighting in all directions whenever gaps in cloud permitted, as well as those of the other islands in the distance... I wonder if our little fire on the summit was visible :laugh:

Top Bottom