Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
"Already" is beginning to crop up more and more, as in: "Get something done, already!" I think it's an old Jewish habit, which is creeping into current English English.

One of the most irritating (apart from the over-use of "like") is the vocal fry. This is women who lower their voices and make them vibrate so as to sound more manly and (they think) authoritative. Jo Swinson didn't do it and her voice sounded unfashionably light and womanly as a consequence. Here's something on vocal fry:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZbmISBPG2c

Women being instructed on how to modify their speech so as to sound 'more acceptable'

(subtext 'acceptable' to men)

Haven't we already spent long enough fighting for the right to be heard, or better still listened to politically?? .

Without then, being subjected to endless lectures, on how "We're doing it all wrong"

I find some mens voices nigh on unlistenable - - - Shall I list the ways??

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
People who can't reply with a simple 'yes' to a question, preferring to say 'absolutely'. I think that they think it makes them sound decisive, or something.
Anyone who can't ever say a simple 'yes' is an idiot, but that doesn't make 'absolutely' necessarily redundant or wrong. Nothing wrong with making endorsement emphatic, where appropriate. Would I like a cup of tea? Yes, thanks. Would I be up for this project? Absolutely!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Women being instructed on how to modify their speech so as to sound 'more acceptable'

(subtext 'acceptable' to men)

Haven't we already spent long enough fighting for the right to be heard, or better still listened to politically?? .

Without then, being subjected to endless lectures, on how "We're doing it all wrong"

I find some mens voices nigh on unlistenable - - - Shall I list the ways??

I remember reading somewhere that Margaret Thatcher wasn't being taken seriously as a politician until she attended elocution classes and learned to speak in a lower voice with proper upper-class pronounciation.

dodgy

Anyone who can't ever say a simple 'yes' is an idiot, but that doesn't make 'absolutely' necessarily redundant or wrong. Nothing wrong with making endorsement emphatic, where appropriate. Would I like a cup of tea? Yes, thanks. Would I be up for this project? Absolutely!

Sorry, I hoped it was obvious I was referring to the (over) use of 'absolutely', as if there is no other option in the English language but to respond 'absolutely'. You hear it at lot in job interview, for instance.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

I wonder, would you be willing to expand your thoughts as to how, 'white privelege' came to 'wake up' Queer UK PLC ?

Or should we be left to draw our own inferences??

I remember reading somewhere that Margaret Thatcher wasn't being taken seriously as a politician until she attended elocution classes and learned to speak in a lower voice with proper upper-class pronounciation.

Tis the oft told tale, yes.

vickster

Legendary Member
40+ years ago

“Y’orright?” when I get to the cashier/counter instead of “hello, how may I help you?”

as mentioned above, the lack of the letter t in many words, even from BBC announcers who ought to be setting a good example

Top Bottom