Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Sick of hearing 'train station', and 'train' when referring to the locomotive. I'm also tired of hearing that motorways, or other roads are 'coping well'.

I had a motorway breakdown the other day. It was in tears I tell you, in tears.

Smudge

Veteran
When i was a kid, a phrase my old man used to say was "If you can hear the trains its going to rain".... Dunno WTF that was all about.
One day i got a bit lippy after he said it, and i replied "well it must be pissing it down at Temple Meads Station then" Which earned me a smack round the head for being cheeky.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
When i was a kid, a phrase my old man used to say was "If you can hear the trains its going to rain".... Dunno WTF that was all about.
One day i got a bit lippy after he said it, and i replied "well it must be pissing it down at Temple Meads Station then" Which earned me a smack round the head for being cheeky.

We live about 2 miles from a railway line. Some days you can hear all the trains passing by. Other days like today, completely silent. I’m thinking his saying might be related to the wind direction in some way. So if the wind is blowing from the tracks towards you house, is that a direction that often means rain due to local geography?

Reactions: C R

classic33

Leg End Member
Worth a read,
https://www.farmersalmanac.com/can-what-you-hear-help-you-predict-the-weather-10788

"Low, dense, rain clouds act as a barrier, causing sound waves to bounce back to earth and preventing them from escaping into the atmosphere above. This creates the illusion that everything is louder, and that noise travels further. This is why we seem to hear distant sounds, such as train whistles and ringing church bells, better as a storm approaches."

Smudge

Veteran
We live about 2 miles from a railway line. Some days you can hear all the trains passing by. Other days like today, completely silent. I’m thinking his saying might be related to the wind direction in some way. So if the wind is blowing from the tracks towards you house, is that a direction that often means rain due to local geography?
Worth a read,
https://www.farmersalmanac.com/can-what-you-hear-help-you-predict-the-weather-10788

"Low, dense, rain clouds act as a barrier, causing sound waves to bounce back to earth and preventing them from escaping into the atmosphere above. This creates the illusion that everything is louder, and that noise travels further. This is why we seem to hear distant sounds, such as train whistles and ringing church bells, better as a storm approaches."

Well that's excused him then. Obviously not everything he said was fooking stupid.

I have another one here. Whenever anything pissed off my granddad he used to say "Its enough to make a man eat his young"
I never understood that one either.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Well that's excused him then. Obviously not everything he said was fooking stupid.

I have another one here. Whenever anything pissed off my granddad he used to say "Its enough to make a man eat his young"

Here you go

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/eat+young

Smudge

Veteran
Another thing my grandad was fond of saying, and he would just randomly say this, was.... "Mother, sell the pig and buy me out".... He would then follow this up by saying "Pigs dead, soldier on you bastard"
Which i guess was from National Service, or the war.

He was also an absolute racist.... but best not to go into those phrases.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well that's excused hit then. Obviously not everything he said was fooking stupid.

I'd similar said to me, about hearing the church bells, before the rain came. Shame in a way such methods are no longer used on a personal level.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'd similar said to me, about hearing the church bells, before the rain came. Shame in a way such methods are no longer used on a personal level.

Who says they're not still used ??

If you work outdoors in the same short stretch of valley, for over twenty years your radar gets quite well attuned.

To all sorts of sights, and sounds and premonitions of weather.

Maybe it just takes a good long time, spent in the one place, to get tuned in ??

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's a big askxx(xx(xx(
Very first time I came across that expression - and this is, hand on heart, absolutely true, was when I was not paying full attention to the commentary during a rugby match, and 'tuned back in', you might say, during a scrum. The camera was zooming in, and I heard the commentator suddenly say 'that's a big arse', which I thought, while true, was not the kind of thing you really expected rugby commentators to say. I told my wife later and she explained.

Top Bottom