Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One time when talking about a sportive where I got my pacing badly wrong and ended up suffering on the back leg with a headwind, I described the effort to get round to a friend and colleague as a "head down, arse up" one.

He then tried to use the same phrase to motivate the team to push through a backlog of work.
The predominantly female team did not interpret it as a headwind-related cycling phrase :laugh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
A friend got a sheepdog from the Dumfries area and took it back to his farm in Aberdeenshire and the damned mutt just would not sit when he told it to. In frustration he phoned the seller who said "How are you pronouncing "sit"?". Turns out dogs recognise the differences too.

Aha - Excellent.. You've put me in mind of a phrase, that I am tired of hearing.

"He's only being friendly "

An owner referring to their hound which is quite clearly invading someone elses personal space, against their wishes.

I particularly disliked it when ppl would let their dogs run up to my kids (who were both nervous around them) and then get all funny if I asked them to keep them away.

It often seems that disliking dogs (though I wish them no particular ill) is a worse sin than disliking kids, in this country.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Or I could show them round... not busy.

Sweet of you to offer :okay:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Which reminds me of a couple of words which are departing the language, sadly: tuppence, and thruppence. Both commonplace when I were a nipper.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Which reminds me of a couple of words which are departing the language, sadly: tuppence, and thruppence. Both commonplace when I were a nipper.

I try and keep these things alive by loudly exclaiming things like "Twenty bob! For a packet of crisps?" at every opportunity ^_^

ETA - I also promised my grandson a shiny shilling if he could find my glasses for me. Hopefully the heartfelt disappointment will teach him a valuable life lesson.

Venod

Eh up
And yet if you say thrice you're just being pretentious. Or incomprehensible, to anyone under 40.
Yes Lionel Richie singing, Once, Twice Thrice, a lady would sound like a medieval ballad.
Bob Dylan would also sound wrong singing Don't think two times it's alright.

Last edited:
Top Bottom