Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
It's not a phrase so I hope this counts.

It's a way of typing posts on this forum.

For some reason a number of people don't seem to use paragraphs and instead space each sentence out one at a time.

One sentence on a line like that somehow makes the point they're making more important.

I'm not sure why.

I wish they wouldn't.

D

Deleted member 26715

Is it better if they do this instead it's not a phrase so I hope this counts it's a way of typing posts on this forum for some reason a number of people don't seem to use paragraphs and instead space each sentence out one at a time one sentence on a line like that somehow makes the point they're making more important i'm not sure why I wish they wouldn't?

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Is it better if they do this instead it's not a phrase so I hope this counts it's a way of typing posts on this forum for some reason a number of people don't seem to use paragraphs and instead space each sentence out one at a time one sentence on a line like that somehow makes the point they're making more important i'm not sure why I wish they wouldn't?

(I'm assuming you're not joking.)

That's actually worse. For example, my original post would be better laid out as:

"It's not a phrase so I hope this counts; it's a way of typing posts on this forum. For some reason a number of people don't seem to use paragraphs and instead space each sentence out one at a time, one sentence on a line like that somehow makes the point they're making more important.

I'm not sure why. I wish they wouldn't."

Can you see the difference?

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Whereas everything seems to be "lush" around Bristol.

Anybody ever come into contact with Weegies (Glaswegians)? Ever get amused hearing how everything is "Pure dead brilliant"? Hearing the different ways of ending sentences such as "So ah did, so ah will" and the perennial "but" as a full stop.

"Ah went oot on the bike the other day so ah did and it was pure dead brilliant so it was but"
Stoatin'! Youse proper ken the blether big man:okay:.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Whatabout whataboutery, false equivalence, and other bullshite phrases used when the poster has no real answer?

Do you not understand these phrases ??

They're quite commonly used, and have fairly defined, well established meanings.

As someone apparently quite keen on good use of language, I'd have thought you'd have looked them up by now, if you didn't fully comprehend their meaning.

I would take the trouble to explain both, but it would be an unnecessary (albeit delightful) distraction, from my pressing, admin duties, as their usage far from being bullsh*t are well established in common parlance.

It's not a phrase so I hope this counts.

It's a way of typing posts on this forum.

For some reason a number of people don't seem to use paragraphs and instead space each sentence out one at a time.

One sentence on a line like that somehow makes the point they're making more important.

I'm not sure why.

I wish they wouldn't.

We use this device, a bit like punctuation, to give the eye, and brain, a chance to absorb one idea, before loading on the next.

It's like when you're teaching - or speaking - effectively.

If you just hammer out ideas, thoughts, and imperitives, nineteen to the dozen, without allowing your audience any chance to assimilate, or absorb, what's going on, most people will switch off, get muddled, or just feel mentally assaulted by the quantity of unrelenting verbiage, coming at them. What you're trying to communicate, will be lost.

Plus, most of us are reading this on tiny screens.

And we can't always find our glasses :becool:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Calling something lush is more of a Welsh thing, us Bristolians call it 'gert lush'

I'm a Bristolian gone South..

It gets proper luvverly down yer.. :rolleyes:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I'm a Bristolian gone South..

It gets proper luvverly down yer.. :rolleyes:
I love all the different accents in the UK. I still vividly remember my first night in the navy, after the lights went out all 24 of us in the mess (unprompted) introduced ourselves. One at a time we said who we were and where we were from and I marvelled at all the accents I'd only previously heard on the telly - Geordies, Scousers, Irish, Welsh, Cockney, Brummies, Cornish - from every corner of the UK

D

Deleted member 26715

I love all the different accents in the UK. I still vividly remember my first night in the navy, after the lights went out all 24 of us in the mess (unprompted) introduced ourselves. One at a time we said who we were and where we were from and I marvelled at all the accents I'd only previously heard on the telly - Geordies, Scousers, Irish, Welsh, Cockney, Brummies, Cornish - from every corner of the UK
How many got a response of, yerwot, wot did e say?

As a slight diversion to the thread, I am getting fed up of seeing variations of this before I can access web sites:
View attachment 501284
They are annoying, but GDPR doesn't go far enough IMO, many of these popups are maliciously compliant and use what are termed "dark patterns" by user experience experts, insofar as they are make the option with the best outcome for them the easiest. It's like Arthur Dent looking for the plan to bulldoze his house. "It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard."

My rule is generally that if I can't opt out of cookies within 10 seconds of the popup appearing, I just leave the website.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

It still astonishes me, how on such a close packed, relatively mobile, and internationally diverse country, i can visit so many different parts of my own nation, and often be struggling to understand - i generally love it :smile:

But I had to give up working for one sheep farmer as a youth - he would mutter, in broad Deb'n, as to which field he'd want me to move a particular flock - all the while addressing the ground - just by his left wellie.

i couldn't just breezily nod, smile, and hope for the best - but at the same time, asking for a fourth repetition of instructions started to get embarrassing.. :sad:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
It still astonishes me, how on such a close packed, relatively mobile, and internationally diverse country, i can visit so many different parts of my own nation, and often be struggling to understand - i generally love it :smile:

But I had to give up working for one sheep farmer as a youth - he would mutter, in broad Deb'n, as to which field he'd want me to move a particular flock - all the while addressing the ground - just by his left wellie.

i couldn't just breezily nod, smile, and hope for the best - but at the same time, asking for a fourth repetition of instructions started to get embarrassing.. :sad:
A friend got a sheepdog from the Dumfries area and took it back to his farm in Aberdeenshire and the damned mutt just would not sit when he told it to. In frustration he phoned the seller who said "How are you pronouncing "sit"?". Turns out dogs recognise the differences too.

Top Bottom