Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You’re gorgeous

I know :rolleyes: but why fight it??

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Any of the moronic "words as punctuation marks".
For example "Like" used as (and as well as) a comma. As in "I'm so, like, put out because he was like "tidy your room" and my room is like, pretty tidy already". It's firmly rooted with twenty somethings that one, and thankfully not as common with younger children now.

"Kinda" is another superfluous word in the same way that "like" is... "I was kinda just like walking along, then I realised how, like, weary I was, so I decided to kinda sit down for a while. That kinda did the trick".
The word adds nothing.

Late primary school children and younger teens are however developing a worrying American habit of saying "Wait" at the start of any question and even some statements, almost like it replaces a capital letter. As in "Wait, are we going to the park today?" "Wait, is Mum coming?" "Dad... Wait, my teacher gave me a star today". I'm slowly training my daughter out of it, she knows it's poor English bless her but they all do it. It's her generation's version of "like".

I sympathise with Dirk, "can I get" drives me spare, sadly it's now already ubiquitous.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Sick of hearing 'train station', and 'train' when referring to the locomotive. I'm also tired of hearing that motorways, or other roads are 'coping well'.

I'm going to start loudly correcting the automatic announcer, at every opportunity now.

"It's not a train, it's a locomotive"

Another tool in the box, for retaining ones double seat, thanks :okay:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I'm going to start loudly correcting the automatic announcer, at every opportunity now.

"It's not a train, it's a locomotive"

Another tool in the box, for retaining ones double seat, thanks :okay:
Of course you might well be on a train nowadays as a train is
'a series of connected railway carriages or wagons moved by a locomotive or by integral motors.' as in
"a freight train" , or "a passenger train". It is the whole assembly, it is when an individual steam or diesel loco is referred to as a train that it really grates.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Sadly as some people get older they find the younger generation become more irritating. I don’t know why, it’s probably just resentment or jealousy. I work with a team of much younger people and I really enjoy their company, they’re very funny and they keep me young!
I work in a large office with lots of younger people whose general conversation regularly reminds me that I'm no longer that young bloke that I think I am in my head.. They are a pretty good bunch really, but do use some unusual phrases which all appear to have been adopted from the many reality shows that they worship. I live in the North West and have never heard so many Essex type accents in my life. Everything is drawn out, Yeeeeehhhh and Nooooo, and all of the (T's) have been removed from daily words.. Oh, and I almost forgot, their generation knows everyfink and us oldies know nuffink :laugh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Of course you might well be on a train nowadays as a train is
'a series of connected railway carriages or wagons moved by a locomotive or by integral motors.' as in
"a freight train" , or "a passenger train". It is the whole assembly, it is when an individual steam or diesel loco is referred to as a train that it really grates.

I'll bear all that in mind, before I begin my oratory.

Could turn into a longish speech, to get across all the qualifications, and clarifications.

But hey anything to keep the troops* entertained.

*captive audience

dodgy

People who can't reply with a simple 'yes' to a question, preferring to say 'absolutely'. I think that they think it makes them sound decisive, or something.

Globalti

Legendary Member
"Already" is beginning to crop up more and more, as in: "Get something done, already!" I think it's an old Jewish habit, which is creeping into current English English.

One of the most irritating (apart from the over-use of "like") is the vocal fry. This is women who lower their voices and make them vibrate so as to sound more manly and (they think) authoritative. Jo Swinson didn't do it and her voice sounded unfashionably light and womanly as a consequence. Here's something on vocal fry:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZbmISBPG2c

T675Rich

I have always hated the phrase "touch base". I am seeing can't written as carnt which also annoys me, I am aware that my spelling and grammar are terrible but that seems like a deliberate misspelling.

Top Bottom