Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
"Do you feel me?"

Umm, no. Why on earth would I do that?

Smudge

Veteran
One irritating Americanism I've just heard from an English BBC reporter at the tennis in Australia: "We've got some amazing action here for you..... don't we!"

My brother in the USA tells me it's common to hear "Dont you got....?"

I've heard people here say 'dont got' instead of 'haven't got'
Its as bad as many here in the UK and are now saying 'math'

Globalti

Legendary Member
"Reaching out...." is pretty stupid. What's wrong with phoning, emailing, contacting or visiting?

The fashion for dropping Ts from words is particularly stupid because you have to work to separate the Ts you can drop from those you can't. Example: "I felt be'a on the train...." which is more awkward than pronouncing "better" properly.

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
There's a certain amount of logic in using "math" (singular) rather than "maths" (plural) as a contraction for mathematics.

After all, nobody says "maths are difficult".

People here don't use it for that reason, they say 'math' because they hear it on American tv shows.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
First World Problem.

When you tell someone of a problem and they respond with "that's a first world problem". Like so what? Does that mean it's any less important? What if they tell me they didn't get paid for a job, should I tell them it's a first world problem?

Wth.
I quite like it. The whole idea is to use it when somebody is making a big issue out of something minor, inconsequential or no hreat significance. Sometimes is an inoffensive reminder to some people to get over themselves.

Globalti

Legendary Member
"I've had the 'flu" = "I've had a cold".

Most people don't know how bad genuine influenza is.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"I've had the 'flu" = "I've had a cold".

Most people don't know how bad genuine influenza is.
1580138823084.png

1580138850052.png

*sniff sniff*

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've had 'flu once in my life and have never felt so ill. I shivered and sweated in bed for about four days. Even an overnight episode of violent D&V in Pakistan after eating re-frozen hotel ice cream didn't rival the 'flu.

Top Bottom