Pimp my Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
1674691 said:
Why is there no cheaper copy luggage for Bromptons? Most other things it it possible, although not necessarily sensible, to by an after-market alternative.
I made my own. http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/n-1-tiddles.88129/page-4
DSC_0099.jpg

I also make Brompton friendly saddle bags that are currently being beta tested by a few friends prior to me getting into limited production for sale.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the 2011 Brompton saddle is an improvement on the 2008 Brompton saddle - I'm very happy with it. As for lights - with decent 3W Cree lights selling at six quid......

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I put a B17 on mine, but a day of picking the bike up and down convinced me the stock 2011 saddle with handle was more comfortable to carry. So back on it went. It also allows the bike to hang, ?cantilever? look mum no hands style, from my shoulder comfortably when carrying it unfolded.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I put a B17 on mine, but a day of picking the bike up and down convinced me the stock 2011 saddle with handle was more comfortable to carry. So back on it went. It also allows the bike to hang, ?cantilever? look mum no hands style, from my shoulder comfortably when carrying it unfolded.
I find it does that well with the B17 . I've now perfected the technique where I can wheel the Brompton , jam on the front brake causing a stoppy and slipping my shoulder under the saddle and continue without stopping.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I find it does that well with the B17 . I've now perfected the technique where I can wheel the Brompton , jam on the front brake causing a stoppy and slipping my shoulder under the saddle and continue without stopping.
I expect I have fat shoulders but I found the rails and leather dug into my shoulder. I'd love someone to make a handgrip to fit the Brooks rails!

Must try and perfect that endo trick...

I am short so carry the B by the main frame, rather than the saddle, when carrying it folded. Carrying when unfolded it's the shoulder trick but I balance the LH pedal against my thigh as well.

StuartG

slower but further
1674691 said:
Why is there no cheaper copy luggage for Bromptons? Most other things it it possible, although not necessarily sensible, to by an after-market alternative.
I put a Klickfix fitting on my M3L bars which gives you a range of cheaper bar bags. Doesn't affect the folding (just) but makes positioning of lights on bars difficult.

I had to change to a smaller chainwheel as the gearing was far too high (even though I have a low natural cadence). Recommend B17, EZwheels, Brompton green tyres, mudguards and the IKEA Dimpy bag.
The only thing I would change if replacing would be to go for the 6 gear option. That's because I bought it as as a town bike but its fast becoming my alternative tour bike.

Colour: Glossy Black of course with natural aluminium detailing. Only available s/h :sad:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Re all the gearing comments, I think if at all possible try before you buy.

Definitely sound advice. When my standard chainring broke (it sheared off at the crank), I replaced it with a larger (non-Brompton) chainring. 54T, IIRC. I think it's now about a 69" gear (singlespeed), up from about 64". It felt a little on the low side before, but now I find it just about perfect for general use around town, and not so high that I can't get up the occasional hill. But that's me and I know others feel differently.

d.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I put a Klickfix fitting on my M3L bars which gives you a range of cheaper bar bags. Doesn't affect the folding (just) but makes positioning of lights on bars difficult.

I had to change to a smaller chainwheel as the gearing was far too high (even though I have a low natural cadence). Recommend B17, EZwheels, Brompton green tyres, mudguards and the IKEA Dimpy bag.
The only thing I would change if replacing would be to go for the 6 gear option. That's because I bought it as as a town bike but its fast becoming my alternative tour bike.

Colour: Glossy Black of course with natural aluminium detailing. Only available s/h :sad:
BIg fan of the Dimpy. However some establishments in London and the provinces will treat you to "Sir, just because you've folded your bicycle and put it in a bag... well... it is still a bicycle... and we don't take bicycles, folded, or in bags, in our cloakroom."

Oh, I feel so puny now :sad: Top gear on my six speed is my down hills, tail wind gear :smile:
Yes, but you probably pedal a lot faster and harder in all 6 gears! I have no doubt that you're fitter than I am but I like a slow but steady cadence. (And possibly being a lady I have fatter thighs than you :blush:)
Although, this morning, I was struggling in 3rd and had to walk twice because of side winds attempting to blow me off my bike!

I think Mr SHK uses his 5th gear most of the time; rather than his 6th; he certainly almost never uses 1st gear (I think he had to once in Cornwall...)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I reckon 4th and 5th are my most used - 3rd when setting off from lights. There's a hill (the one by the old UMIST student's union building) that I might drop into 2nd for. I can only remember using first when taking it VERY easy on the ice a couple of times :smile:

The advantage of living in Crewe, I suppose, is that "normal" Brompton gearing never feels overgeared :smile:

StuartG

slower but further
"Sir, just because you've folded your bicycle and put it in a bag... well... it is still a bicycle... and we don't take bicycles, folded, or in bags, in our cloakroom."
I wouldn't leave my Brommie in any cloakroom. But I think I'll start another thread on 'The Brommie Blacklist' ....

Top Bottom