Pimp my Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twanger

Über Member
Oh, I feel so puny now :sad: Top gear on my six speed is my down hills, tail wind gear :smile:

I never use the top 99" gear on my M6L. Age has a lot to do with this. Next time I change the chainset I might go for a smaller one. Or might not.

The one piece of advice I would give anyone speccing a Brompton is go for the firm suspension block if you are heavy or like a stiff feel to the bike. The normal block does tend to turn the bike into a bit of a pogo stick. Don't worry if you have bought the wrong one - they only cost a tenner.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I never use the top 99" gear on my M6L. Age has a lot to do with this. Next time I change the chainset I might go for a smaller one. Or might not.

The one piece of advice I would give anyone speccing a Brompton is go for the firm suspension block if you are heavy or like a stiff feel to the bike. The normal block does tend to turn the bike into a bit of a pogo stick. Don't worry if you have bought the wrong one - they only cost a tenner.
What 'E Said!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Agreed entirely - I'm not the largest of monkeys, but even for me I found the "normal" block to be overly soft. If you're lucky, your Brompton dealer might have a firm block in their bits box (I got mine for a fiver because the shop had one taken off another bike).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
just add a (couple of) jubilee clips and tune your block to taste, or has it all moved once since my previous B?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think it's moved on. The new ones have ridges on them so the jubilee clip trick isn't so easy anymore.
Yes I noticed the ridges on the firm block on my new B. Par for the course I suppose. I always thought a stainless steel wing nut style jubilee clip was a nice bit of bling!

OP
OP
The Eco Worrier

The Eco Worrier

Brompton pimped! Sort of.

went for a standard M3L in the end with front luggage, after a test ride. - thanks for all the comments -v helpful.

Roger Saunders

Regular
I have a P6R

It now has mountain bike riser bars
ergonomic grips and bar ends
SPD pedals
hard suspension block
Schwalbe marathon tyres
A new posher stronglight 44 tooth chainset
A 113mm bottom bracket to keep the chain line correct
Aztec brake blocks and shoes
The SRAM hub has been stripped down and re lubricated
The sprockets have been replaced twice as has the chain
I have a C Bag and I also use an Avenir rack bag
I have replaced most of the cables

The next project is to remove the rust from the rear triagle and touch up the paintwork. I use Hammerite for this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39247027@N00/6775457433/

Will share another one when I photographed it with the new chain set

Top Bottom