Pimp my Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Eco Worrier

Afternoon,
I'm about to complete my besoke Brompton order and wondered if anyone had strong opinions on spec. My main indecision is whether to bother with a rear luggage rack and go for Altura panniers or whether front luggage is easier and more stable.

I use it to commute so have a 15minute cycle at each end of a train journey.

Most importantly what colour???

EW

Pottsy

I'd recommend the front bag - is it the 'S' bag set?!? Then you can skip the rack and keep the bike as light as possible to carry.

The bag itself is very simple to attach and carry, and there are different types that fit the same bracket. You can even lean forward and access it whilst astride the bike. It works really well for me.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Black.

Schwalbe Marathon tyres. A must. The lighter tyres puncture. Agree on the front bag, although it's very expensive.

Pottsy

Other bits about mine...

I went for Cobalt Blue, just 'cos I like it.
Brooks honey B17 saddle (very much a matter of taste)
Kojak tyres - keeping it light and fast (it's a titanium S type, flat bars)
Stiffer elastomer on the back. Feels a bit less bouncy and hence a bit more direct and faster.

Generally though the customising part of buying a Brompton is great, lots you can do to make it specifically how you'd like it.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Black.

Schwalbe Marathon tyres. A must. The lighter tyres puncture. Agree on the front bag, although it's very expensive.
All tyres p******e don't they?:whistle: (even gatorskin hardshells)

I use Kojaks. Fast and slick, and no fairy visits so far.

The rear rack is great as a stable platform for the folded bike, makes it much easier to roll around. Particularly if you spec the faster trolley wheels. But it's not all that great as a luggage carrier.

Consider upgrading the rear suspension elastomer to the stiffest one. Stock ones are too soft for grown adults IMO

I personally believe Bromptons to be too highly geared from the factory. I recommend taking a good look at the low gearing options before you sign off your order.

I like the new dark red/purple myself...
As for the rack, I have one, but do use it for luggage fairly frequently. If you're not planning on using it for luggage then it's less important but it does make the bike very stable when folded and this can be handy on the train.
Front luggage from Brompton is the way to go. It changes the way the bike handles and it's a very neat setup.
I'd suggest probably a C bag rather than an S bag.

We have two M6R s in our house.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I don't have the rear luggage rack on mine and I've never missed it. The front luggage block is so good that it's really not necessary. I have the S-bag, and it's true that they don't come cheap, but it's still going strong after several years heavy use, so I'd say it represents very good value.

If I were speccing my ideal Brompton based on my experience, this is what I'd go for:
S-type
As much titanium as possible (for non-corrosion more than weight reasons)
Brooks saddle
Singlespeed (appreciate this won't be everyone's preference; I know some think the Brompton standard gearing is too high but I'm not one of them)
Marathon Plus tyres
Schmidt dynamo hub front wheel
Full mudguards
EZ wheels (but just the two, with no rear rack)
Firm suspension block, for reasons mentioned by others.

And most importantly...
Red.

d.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'd suggest probably a C bag rather than an S bag.

I like the S-bag for all the pockets - although I did think I'd lost my house keys for ages because I'd put them in the mobile phone pocket and forgot they were there.

The main downside of the S-bag is limited overall capacity compared to some of the other options.

d.

oh yes, forgot to add my vote for marathon plusses. I had one puncture in 2 years and that was when I decided to replace the tyres as they were looking a bit sad in any case. I also don't carry puncture repair kits at all for the simple reason that I'd rather take the bike home using whatever public transport options are available to me and then fix it in the warm and dry.
I have the standard suspension but Mr SHK has the firmer one (he's about 75kgs).
You will want to investigate replacing the grips with Ergon grips as well but that's not a factory option. Come to think of it the Marathon Plusses aren't either, but I think the Marathons are an option now.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The rear rack is great as a stable platform for the folded bike, makes it much easier to roll around. Particularly if you spec the faster trolley wheels. But it's not all that great as a luggage carrier.
I have to disagree with you there. It's very strong. I've seen a couple commuting on a Brompton - he does the pedals and she stands on the rack. And I can stuff one of those big hessian Waitrose ecowarrior carrier bags with cans and bottles and use the elastic straps they provide to hold it in place and cycle home without worrying about the rack wobbling around.

I have to disagree with you there. It's very strong. I've seen a couple commuting on a Brompton - he does the pedals and she stands on the rack. And I can stuff one of those big hessian Waitrose ecowarrior carrier bags with cans and bottles and use the elastic straps they provide to hold it in place and cycle home without worrying about the rack wobbling around.
I agree. Vey strong, but you can't fit panniers and you have to remove anything fom atop the rack before folding. I wouldn't buy the rack for it's luggage capacity alone.

The best thing about it imo is that it turns the folded package into a very stable thing, great when towing on a smooth surface such as a railway platform.

Top Bottom