Pimp my ride (tyres)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Been thinking about prettying up the Pave a bit (for when it's built lol), and I think she'd look much more fetching with red boots than the blacks ones she is to get.

Being new to the whole road bike thing, I am going for 700 x 25 (no real impact on speed, bit more comfortable and better for my confidence, however the choice is much more limited than for 23s.

I have found these that look decent and a reasonable price (cannot find cheaper on the net).

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/co...ad-700x25-blackred-kevlar-folding-tyre-p83222

Total newbie question - these are presumably designed for the road (!) and also what is the difference between folding and tubular apart from what I think is blindingly obvious? :wacko:

Cubist

Still wavin'
The tyres you link to are great. There are faster tyres out there, but I have those on my Boardman and they are good and grippy, reasonably fast and so far have resisted gravel-based deflation attacks,.........

Folding tyres have a flexible kevlar bead that means you can fold them and stick then in a pack or under the saddle as a spare, wired tubular are marginally heavier, and if you aren't a weight weenie will do fine. Tubular simply means you fit it to a standard rim with an inner tube.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Folding & tubular? You've got mixed up there. Tubular tyres are what racers (pro and amateur) use- they require specific rims, and are glued in place. Lighter, better ride allegedly, but much less convenient for normal road use (PITA if you get a puncture, for one thing). You want regular, clincher tyres (like the Bontragers you linked to)- that's what you'll have fitted on the Pave. Folding tyres do exactly what it says on the tin- fold for easier storage etc. Usually a bit lighter than the non-folding type.
You might want to think about getting something a bit tougher- Bontrager Hard Cases are pretty good, more puncture resistant, and can be had for £14, I like Schwalbe Durano Pluses, admittedly rather pricier but very tough indeed.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks guys

I am struggling to find much choice in the 25mm ones in red...I am an adept googler too :biggrin:

Weight wise, errr, about 14stone but trying in vain to lose one of those :blush:

If there are no other options, I'll give the Bontragers a try :smile: The Pave is due to come with these in 25mm black, so cheapies...they do them in red but only 23mm

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-zaffiro-clincher-tyre/

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Bu**er. The 700x25 Bontragers are discontinued and out of stock :sad: Are there any other red/blk 700cx25s out there? 23mm tyres scare me!

I have hopefully found another seller of the Bontragers, bit more expensive...anyone bought from Triton Cycles in Essex?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Measure two millimetres out on the desk in front of you. Look carefully at how small 2mm is. Now order some 23mm Schwalbe Blizzards with red banding, you know you want to...........
whistling.gif

3039-2633-main-sch011-664.jpg

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Do the blizzards have decent puncture protection, given I have absolutely no idea how to fix one! If I were to go up to £15 a tyre? What are the Lugano's like for example at the mid point?

I take your point but I am going from 32mm tyres (i think), not from 25mm, so that is the difference

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
The GP4000s come in red. I've got blue 25s on my Pompino and rate them highly.

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=mad-TYC18524/Continental_GP4000_700_x_25C_red_black_tyre

Sam

MickL

Über Member
You can buy Blizzards of Ebay £15 a pair because they changed the model so they are no longer being made, they do offer some protection from punctures but they wont stop that 6" rusty nail from giving you blow out but they deal pretty well with day to day bits of glass and debris on the roads.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I think it's a confidence thing - maybe for now I'll stick with the 25s that will come with the bike (chepie Vittoria something or others) - the roads are utterly shocking around me and doing this will allow me to get used to and confident on the road bike. Not as pretty though :whistle:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
£12.99 in red, £7.99 for black :smile:

Schwalbe Blizzard Sport Tyre- Non Folding Size : 700c Width : 23 mm Colour : Red Lots in stock £12.99 43% off £22.98

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I do wonder if I am going to get red tyres whether I should get properly red tyres and not black tyres with a red stripe? Too pimpy? There is quite a lot of black in the frame...but also red...could have a nasty clash of reds :wacko:

Top Bottom