Pinarello Dogma F12 vs. Lapierre Aircode SL700 Ultimate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I quite like the look of that Lapierre but like someone mentioned earlier, you can either spend £8k and get the bike you really want, or waste £4k and get the bike that's a substitute. I'm more of the opinion of getting the thing you want even if it's dearer otherwise I'll keep thinking about it. For me, if I can afford it, then spending the extra is worth it so I can "get my fix".

Definite bummer:sad:

On a positive note i guess it should be built and ready within a few weeks now so counting down the days even if it's been a long haul.

My pair (K10 & F8) are happily bumbling along, now as vacation time is upon us the F8 will come out as we hit the Alps next week.

battered

Guru
I quite like the look of that Lapierre but like someone mentioned earlier, you can either spend £8k and get the bike you really want, or waste £4k and get the bike that's a substitute. I'm more of the opinion of getting the thing you want even if it's dearer otherwise I'll keep thinking about it. For me, if I can afford it, then spending the extra is worth it so I can "get my fix".
This is the crux of the question. Why do you want the thing? If it's about having "the best", and there is nothing wrong with that, and you believe that the Pinarello is "the best" then nothing else will do. That's the value of a brand. If I'm driving a Ferrari I don't care if some Japanese turbomobile may be faster, it's not important. I'm the one in a Ferrari. If it's about performance, and you reckon that the Lapierre performs the same, or possibly even better with nicer wheels or tyres, then that might swing it for you. We all know the limiting factor is the engine, and Julien Alaphilippe will be faster on my £800, 15 year old Decathlon bike than I would be on his. I'm not even convinced that I'd be quicker on his bike than mine. But if I had the bike of my dreams, and every time I saw it I went "wow" and wanted to ride it, then that's worth your £x thousand. If every minute on it is a joy because you are on "the best", then that makes it worthwhile.

battered

Guru
I should add that I'm not on a quest for "the best", the bikes that give me pleasure are the ones I have invested time and effort in and that have a bit of me in them. The last big ride I did was on a 25 year old bike. Because I wanted to, and I love that bike. I'm also restoring a ratty and distinctly ordinary hybrid. Why? Because I can, and I like the thing. But that's just me. At the same time a mate has recently bought a used F10. He knows he is on a TdF rocketship.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
If you buy the Dogma, in a couple of years you’re just as likely to think you’ve wasted too much money on the more expensive option when the Lapierre would have done just as well. It’s how us humans work.

mustang1

Guru
If you buy the Dogma, in a couple of years you’re just as likely to think you’ve wasted too much money on the more expensive option when the Lapierre would have done just as well. It’s how us humans work.
Might as well not get either bike then and get something for £1k instead. Or why stop there...

mustang1

Guru
This is the crux of the question. Why do you want the thing? If it's about having "the best", and there is nothing wrong with that, and you believe that the Pinarello is "the best" then nothing else will do. That's the value of a brand. If I'm driving a Ferrari I don't care if some Japanese turbomobile may be faster, it's not important. I'm the one in a Ferrari. If it's about performance, and you reckon that the Lapierre performs the same, or possibly even better with nicer wheels or tyres, then that might swing it for you. We all know the limiting factor is the engine, and Julien Alaphilippe will be faster on my £800, 15 year old Decathlon bike than I would be on his. I'm not even convinced that I'd be quicker on his bike than mine. But if I had the bike of my dreams, and every time I saw it I went "wow" and wanted to ride it, then that's worth your £x thousand. If every minute on it is a joy because you are on "the best", then that makes it worthwhile.
Coz it's.... cooooool. :music:

battered

Guru
Might as well not get either bike then and get something for £1k instead. Or why stop there...
Sure. That's the point. Everybody has their own sweet spot. I'm building a bike that to me is as cool as a Dogma. It cost £35, 10 years ago, and I'm spending more than that getting it powdercoated so I can turn it into the Speed Lobster "Ca coûte ce que ça coûte". It's a limited edition model, it's going to be as cool as a penguin's backside.

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Pics or it didn't arrive yet:laugh:

PS here they are breeding:rolleyes: picked up an F12 frame (2019) in Italy last week, just finished the build tonight and it's FAST......
It’s the big day tomorrow funnily enough … but not until around 19.00hrs and in a town a long way from where I live because the shop owner is racing and I’m meeting him afterwards - not that I care, just pleased to be finally getting it - I’ll post some pics once I’ve fitted the pedals and so on …
Your garage must look like a Pinarello distributor - your one of those psycho-fans with one of each from the range :okay: … any pics of your F12 ?

That's great news and i'm sure that drive will feel much shorter on the way back home^_^

PS if your LBS fella complains about the complexity of building the Talon Ultra bars i can only sympathise with him..... took me 4hrs to get the cables sorted, chuffing nightmare but does look neat.

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
That's great news and i'm sure that drive will feel much shorter on the way back home^_^

PS if your LBS fella complains about the complexity of building the Talon Ultra bars i can only sympathise with him..... took me 4hrs to get the cables sorted, chuffing nightmare but does look neat.
I would think all fully integrated bars are difficult to build, there’s not loads of room inside the bar/stem interface is there - well done with yours ! …. I’m itching to see a pic of your F12 - colours ? , group set ?, brakes ? …. your post raises many more questions than it answers ^_^

Top Bottom