Pitlock Or Pinhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maroon

Über Member
Hi

I'm hoping to ride into work more often but anxious about central london bike theives , guys please which of these products is the most secur in your opinion. I've checked old postings on the site, but was surprised no one appears to have asked this before. I already own abus gold rated d locks but would prefer to travel as light as possible and protect my wheels

Cheers in advance

vickster

Legendary Member
which do your insurance recognise?

@jefmcg has lockable skewers, not sure which..but I think to replace a knackered QR

Assume you've read the reviews. I doubt there's much between them in terms of deterrrent. Neither will stop a determined thief cutting your spokes or frame.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
I'm not sure ( ashamed to say but no insurance for bike maybe I should look at that!!!)
Back to my point though vickster are either worth the money?????????????

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not sure ( ashamed to say but no insurance for bike maybe I should look at that!!!)
Back to my point though vickster are either worth the money?????????????
I guess yes if you don't want to carry a cable for your front wheel?

I'd insure the bike first

The problem with all of them is the special key you need. I bought a cheaper version for both my sons uni bikes, which is an adapted Allen key. It means they always have to carry it with them.

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
The problem with all of them is the special key you need. I bought a cheaper version for both my sons uni bikes, which is an adapted Allen key. It means they always have to carry it with them.
I think considering what you could possibly lose if unprotected the special keys a minor consideration i'd happily put up with

Drago

Legendary Member
If you would become upset/angry/homicidal if it should be damaged or stolen, then you've picked the wrong bike to be leaving locked up daily in daylight in an urban area.

A cable to go with the U lock would be suitable for the wheels.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have you considered n+1? Ie, buy a bike specifically for the commute - something less attractive to thieves, something that even if it did get nicked, it wouldn't be that big a deal. £100 can buy you a perfectly good old Raleigh or Peugeot, maybe even a Dawes or a Claude Butler. Add a £20 lock and a bit of care over where you park up, and you're sorted.

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
If you would become upset/angry/homicidal if it should be damaged or stolen, then you've picked the wrong bike to be leaving locked up daily in daylight in an urban area.

A cable to go with the U lock would be suitable for the wheels.
Trying to make sense of your point !!!!!!!!
Are you saying we should accept less than we desire,to accomadate others need to steal our stuff ???????????

I think that's what your saying or it's read that way

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Have you considered n+1? Ie, buy a bike specifically for the commute - something less attractive to thieves, something that even if it did get nicked, it wouldn't be that big a deal. £100 can buy you a perfectly good old Raleigh or Peugeot, maybe even a Dawes or a Claude Butler. Add a £20 lock and a bit of care over where you park up, and you're sorted.
No as I only have room for one bike and this is the one. I have always wanted on of these not willing to compromise....

Pitlocks seem to get a better write up. Some complaints online about difficulty in using the pinhead lock tool.

I don't know if it's an option but I used to take my front wheel off and lock frame and wheels to a stand with the D-lock. The advantage of that is it leaves a lot less space for someone to get at the D-lock. The disadvantage is the time you need to do it and it's a bit more faff.

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Pitlocks seem to get a better write up. Some complaints online about difficulty in using the pinhead lock tool.

I don't know if it's an option but I used to take my front wheel off and lock frame and wheels to a stand with the D-lock. The advantage of that is it leaves a lot less space for someone to get at the D-lock. The disadvantage is the time you need to do it and it's a bit more faff.
Thanks Crackle looks like Pitlocks are the ones then....

Just need to find a decent price for them

Top Bottom