Pitlock Or Pinhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Argh, yet more to worry about, hadn't even considered people stealing wheels/saddles let alone bloody forks!!!

I tend to take the qr skewer from rear wheel with me and lock the wheel to the bike just to put of off the sort of thief that would ride off with the bike but looks like I should think about securing my front wheel too.

Both Pinhead and Pitlock are complete solutions - you can get secure bolts for any part of the bike that is normally quick release or removed with an Allen key. Except stem faceplate bolts - might be an idea to use Hexlox there if you’re worried about someone nicking your handlebars.

The Pinhead system can be set up to use the same key for all bolts and the D-lock. Presumably Pitlock is the same.

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Both Pinhead and Pitlock are complete solutions - you can get secure bolts for any part of the bike that is normally quick release or removed with an Allen key. Except stem faceplate bolts - might be an idea to use Hexlox there if you’re worried about someone nicking your handlebars.

The Pinhead system can be set up to use the same key for all bolts and the D-lock. Presumably Pitlock is the same.
Thank you very much, so it seems a mix of pitlock and Hexlox would seem to be the ticket

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
How merely from a cost perspective, Hexlox is currently priced to cover all based at a slightly more competitive rate the pitlock, despite both being good security systems.

Not sure which to go with , only one way to resolve this FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan O

Über Member
I don't know why, by I never think to secure front wheel, it's currently bolted not qr (unlike rear wheel) so bit more of a faff to steal but I clearly need to improve my op sec!
My wheels are bolted, but I still always use one cable for the front wheel and one for the saddle (Brooks), with the lock through the rear wheel, frame and whatever it's fastened to.

Had my seatpost and saddle stolen while I was at work Monday last week, right under the noses of Chubb's HQ's CCTV cameras!

Had a nice chat with Simon at Sea Bass Cycles in Camberwell, dropped by there this morning to collect as many Hexlox as I could from what they have in stock (as I've got a mixture of bolt sizes). They are ordering the remainder of what I need directly from Hexlox in Germany, should be here end of this week / beginning of next.

Very clever things and apparently, so far, not really on professional thieves' radar -- yet!

I don't think that sort of stripping happens while you are in a shop or even at work. Whole bike and front wheel are most at risk, possibly a Brooks saddle
That's what I thought, and boy, was I wrong.

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Had my seatpost and saddle stolen while I was at work Monday last week, right under the noses of Chubb's HQ's CCTV cameras!

Had a nice chat with Simon at Sea Bass Cycles in Camberwell, dropped by there this morning to collect as many Hexlox as I could from what they have in stock (as I've got a mixture of bolt sizes). They are ordering the remainder of what I need directly from Hexlox in Germany, should be here end of this week / beginning of next.

Very clever things and apparently, so far, not really on professional thieves' radar -- yet!

Never heard of Seabass bikes and I'm an ex camberwellian I'll give them a go see if they have stock, thanks for the heads up

Top Bottom