Pitlock Or Pinhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Same here - Selle SMP was the end of my search, after several years of agony trying at least 8 different models of Brooks.
Agreed I love the concept of brooks saddles but. Ya can't beat a selle saddle

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Same here - Selle SMP was the end of my search, after several years of agony trying at least 8 different models of Brooks.
I'd normally recommend that, having finally found a saddle that suits, you get a couple of spares, on the grounds that when the one you are using wears out, they will have been replaced with a new! improved! differently shaped model that doesn't suit.
But at that price, maybe not :sad:

Crankarm

Guru
Just in case anyone is thinking of getting Pinhead locking skewers - DON'T! A bike thief can easily undo them in a matter of a few minutes. There are a few videos on Youtube showing how crap they are. Avoid. I have Pitlock skewers which are harder to open as they require a shaped key to undo the skewer which has a reciprocal shaped nut inside a housing making it difficult to access. Far better than Pinhead, although I still don't take them for granted and use 2 Abus Granit D-locks as well to secure my bike. I remove the saddle which has a simple QR collar figuring it will be less attractive to a thief to try and ride a bike without a saddle. It does mean I have a saddle to carry around, but it's not that onerous. HTH.

I'd normally recommend that, having finally found a saddle that suits, you get a couple of spares, on the grounds that when the one you are using wears out, they will have been replaced with a new! improved! differently shaped model that doesn't suit.
But at that price, maybe not :sad:
I do pick up used ones on eBay from time to time, but they're never any colour other than black.

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
I've started using Hexlox
This is an update of the old trick of supergluing a ball bearing into the socket of your allen bolts, but with the insert readily removable with a small coded key that's only about 15 mm x 3 mm dia., taking up hardly any keyring space.
You can protect anything that's fastened on with an allen bolt, not just wheels and seatposts.
Thanks @andrew_s @velovoice just returned from the wonderful Seabass Cycles where the guys there sorted me out with a Hexlox system really good service and more than happy .... let's hope it works thank you.

Last edited:

Seabass

Hi everyone, just thought I'd jump on your thread to let you know that we have all sizes of Hexlox back in stock. There's only a couple of places in South London that sell them (one or two more across the river I believe) so if you're passing through SE5 come and say hi. We also now have the adhesive/magnetic inserts which allow the Hexlox to be fitted to non-magnetic (ie stainless steel) hex bolts. These are available in 5mm and 6mm, but not 4mm.

Great to meet a couple of you who came into the shop, thanks again for your support. Best, Simon

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Hi everyone, just thought I'd jump on your thread to let you know that we have all sizes of Hexlox back in stock. There's only a couple of places in South London that sell them (one or two more across the river I believe) so if you're passing through SE5 come and say hi. We also now have the adhesive/magnetic inserts which allow the Hexlox to be fitted to non-magnetic (ie stainless steel) hex bolts. These are available in 5mm and 6mm, but not 4mm.

Great to meet a couple of you who came into the shop, thanks again for your support. Best, Simon

Hi Simon
The plug alone surely must be worth the T shirt I was after x large please

Top Bottom