Pitlock Or Pinhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's the stripping I was referring to, not saddle and seatpost unfortunately
Oh sorry, I should have paid closer attention to which post I was replying to.
Was it a Brooks?
No, it wasn't, it was something far more rare and expensive! :sad:

NickNick

Oh sorry, I should have paid closer attention to which post I was replying to.

No, it wasn't, it was something far more rare and expensive! :sad:

So sorry to hear that, it was obviously someone who knows bikes then, if it was stolen to order you won't ever see it again sadly, but if it was more of an opportunistic theft, I would expect it to pop up on ebay, gumtree, facebook groups... its worth keeping an eye on them all for the next month and spreading the word as much as possible to see if other people can keep an eye out too.

So sorry to hear that, it was obviously someone who knows bikes then, if it was stolen to order you won't ever see it again sadly, but if it was more of an opportunistic theft, I would expect it to pop up on ebay, gumtree, facebook groups... its worth keeping an eye on them all for the next month and spreading the word as much as possible to see if other people can keep an eye out too.
The police and my insurance both reckon stolen to order.

I do keep a watch running on ebay, purely because these saddles are so rare and expensive! And yes, I've posted all over social media about it.

ETA: Fortunately, both items were documented and I had proof of purchase, so I expect the insurance will pay the claim, minus my excess which is extremely low so it was worth putting the claim in.

NickNick

The police and my insurance both reckon stolen to order.

I do keep a watch running on ebay, purely because these saddles are so rare and expensive! And yes, I've posted all over social media about it.

ETA: Fortunately, both items were documented and I had proof of purchase, so I expect the insurance will pay the claim, minus my excess which is extremely low so it was worth putting the claim in.

Yep sadly that probably is the most likely from what you've said about the saddle, what ###### they are, the inconvenience of it all ends up beings as much of a problem or more than the financial side of things!

Will it have much of an impact on your premiums next year having to put this claim in? I don't have any experience dealing with bike insurance, only car/lorry insurance from my driving days where it often ended up working out cheaper to try and avoid going through the insurance companies for small claims.

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
I have to ask what type of saddle was it ????? I have a selle smp pro which I have nervous sweats about leaving in train station bikestores

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Take it with you?
I suppose I could but am currently looking at Hexlox's to safeguard it

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
No, not forks - I imagine that would take more than a multi-tool?

Ahead stems make it trivially easy to remove forks with just an Allen key or two. If you have quick-release wheels, locking the front wheel to the frame wouldn't stop a determined scrote from stealing your fork. Both Pinhead and Pitlock do secure stem caps that would prevent this - Hexlox in a standard stem cap would also work.

Will it have much of an impact on your premiums next year having to put this claim in? I don't have any experience dealing with bike insurance, only car/lorry insurance from my driving days where it often ended up working out cheaper to try and avoid going through the insurance companies for small claims.
My first ever claim! I'll let you know how it goes.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A seatpost will frequently go with the saddle when the saddle's stolen - the seatpost bolt is more easily accessible than a saddle bolt (or two) up underneath the saddle.

When I got Hexlox, I got them for wheel skewers, seatpost binder, saddle clamp, stem clamp (top cap would also work), stem faceplate (2), and the bolt that holds the Edelux II on.
Note that Hexlox don't work on non-magnetic bolts, so if you use stainless, aluminium or titanium bolts, you'll have to swap bolts or get the stick in magnetic inserts that Hexlox sell.

Top Bottom