Pitted chrome on a 70's Holdsworth pro team bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
About to start a restoration project in the new year of my dad's pro spec 70's Holdsworth which has been hanging in at least 4 different garages over the past 25 years.

We know that things like cables, pads, bar tape and the tires will need to be replaced but the chain looks like it can be cleaned and reused as the links still have movement in them.

The big thing is the part chrome part painted frame and forks. All of which have a fair amount of pitting.

I read somewhere that lemon juice and vinigar is a good start to clean the surface rubbish off without damaging the paint but what would be the next step. I know that to get rid of the pitting is never going to happen but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The pedals rear and front mech, rings, cassette, bars and rims just need a good clean and some metal Polish to get them shining and looking like new again.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
De-Ox gel. Simply no more effective method of non damaging rust removal.

Julia9054

Guru
Rubbing with aluminium foil works to remove rust. You can wet the foil first if you like. Because aluminium is more reactive than iron, the iron oxide becomes aluminium oxide which has the added advantage of being a white metallic colour which slightly disguises pitting in chrome.
Does leave you with hands like a cyberman though.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Thanks for the suggestions I will definatly try the foil option sounds like a good plan.

I have used De Ox gel on and old car in the door sills before and it worked brilliantly was able to respray the door shuts and they looked like new plus saved me a fair few pounds as it looked like it would need a bit of welding.

Re the chain good shout I will take a look and see how much stretch it has before the task of cleaning it and relubing it starts.

I posted some pics up a year ago in the below post. Bike is still in the same state and position

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/holdsworth-campagnolo-1976.191941/page-2

GuyBoden

Guru
Top notch bike.
I agree.

Personally, if I was going to ride the bike any significant distance, I'd get a new chain.

In fact, if I was going to ride a bike of this quality and age. I'd carefully dismantled the whole bike, then clean and rebuild each component.

Very nice, indeed.
20151129_123011-jpg.111336.jpg

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Chains aren't that expensive, and are easily available, so I'd stick a new chain on it anyway.

Nice bike.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Pics would be nice :smile:

The aluminium steals the oxygen from the iron oxide turning it back into metallic iron which is a metallic colour :smile:

Shaun
It's essentially the thermite reaction. Make sure you rub nice and hard, get some friction in there to to clear off the top layer of aluminium oxide and kick it off.

Top Bottom