Places you'd like to visit on your bike this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Well I’ll bypass the industrial valleys 😁
Looks like you have never been to the Massif Central, lots of former industrial valleys that were powered by water off the mountains . Best of both worlds old converted railways and climbs out of the valleys. Much better than the Alps or Pyrenees as you are not restricted by the lack of side roads.

Trickedem

Guru
Myself, @Trickedem , @rb58 and a n other are off to southern Spain in April for a weeks tour. Revisiting a mountain route called the Goat Road which is as good as it gets for cycling anywhere in this world. A 10 mile descent of hairpins and stunning views. Oh yes, the route does feature over 33000ft of climbing in 330 miles. But we ain't racing.

We are also visiting Trevelez, the highest village in Spain apparently.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I keep saying I'll do a round trip to Strasbourg; it's about 130k from my apartment so theoretically doable in a longish day if I get a bit of practice done.

A nice city ... but if I recall correctly you are nearer to Colmar. Some fantastic cycling through the vineyards along the edge of the Vosges to the SW, W and NW of Colmar, and every little village and town is a corker. If you want to experience Alsace, that's where I'd head for.

For no reason I have become quite attracted to riding the Cambrian area of Wales. It looks hard, maybe harder than I am capable of, but I still find myself going back to it.

That sounds great. I want to explore southern Snowdonia this year and Lake Vyrnwy area. So peaceful mid Wales, great for gravel riding as well.

We are also visiting Trevelez, the highest village in Spain apparently.
I thought so too.....
But apparently it's not ^_^
It's the highest in Andalusia though!
IMG_20220522_103115.jpg

Wonderful part of a wonderful country

A nice city ... but if I recall correctly you are nearer to Colmar. Some fantastic cycling through the vineyards along the edge of the Vosges to the SW, W and NW of Colmar, and every little village and town is a corker. If you want to experience Alsace, that's where I'd head for.

I reached Colmar last year and very pretty it was too.

2022_05_26_Colmar_21.jpg

2022_05_26_Colmar_19b.jpg

Next time I'll push a bit further to see the mountains. I'll be interested to see how they compare to the Black Forest

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I'm looking at routes from Santander - Narbon - Santander

If you mean Narbonne and you are going twice the length of the Pyrenees, I'm guessing you want to do some serious climbing, including a few of the big TdF regulars. In my opinion, you really shouldn't miss the Port de Pailheres, just to the East of Ax les Thermes. The summit is exactly 2,000 metres, and the descent features some of the best, most tightly packed hairpins I have ever encountered. I drove it in the car and the sat nav absolutely lost its S**t, repeatedly telling us to "perform a u-turn when possible". I believe it has been done at least once in the TdF and was classified HC. All I can say is that it is an absolutely stunning road and I wish I'd had the chance to ride it on a bike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom