Places you'd like to visit on your bike this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
If you mean Narbonne and you are going twice the length of the Pyrenees, I'm guessing you want to do some serious climbing, including a few of the big TdF regulars. In my opinion, you really shouldn't miss the Port de Pailhere, just to the East of Ax les Thermes. The summit is exactly 2,000 metres, and the descent features some of the best, most tightly packed hairpins I have ever encountered. I drove it in the car and the sat nav absolutely lost its S**t, repeatedly us to "perform a u-turn when possible". I believe it has been done at least once in the TdF and was classified HC. All I can say is that it is an absolutely stunning road and I wish I'd had the chance to ride it on a bike.

I'm totally unfamiliar with Spain or any of the places you mentioned, so thanks for the input. If it comes together, I'd like take in some of Spainish Pyrenees, rest up at my uncles near Narbonne and head back to the ferry (Santander - Plymouth) skirting the French Pyrenees.

It's been a while since I put myself out there in unfamiliar territory, the other alternative would be to pootle around in Brittany for the 4th time.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I'm totally unfamiliar with Spain or any of the places you mentioned, so thanks for the input. If it comes together, I'd like take in some of Spainish Pyrenees, rest up at my uncles near Narbonne and head back to the ferry (Santander - Plymouth) skirting the French Pyrenees.

It's been a while since I put myself out there in unfamiliar territory, the other alternative would be to pootle around in Brittany for the 4th time.

If you are going to skirt the Pyrenees, there's a good chance you will end up at the eastern end riding a fantastic, winding Mediterranean coast road northwards into France, and you shouldn't miss the little port of Collioure. If Carcassonne isn't too far North for you on the way back, give it a Google and consider including it on your route. Have fun route planning. Sounds like an adventure of a lifetime.

8mph

Veteran
If you are going to skirt the Pyrenees, there's a good chance you will end up at the eastern end riding a fantastic, winding Mediterranean coast road northwards into France, and you shouldn't miss the little port of Collioure. If Carcassonne isn't too far North for you on the way back, give it a Google and consider including it on your route. Have fun route planning. Sounds like an adventure of a lifetime.

Thanks, I might need some help from other members if I'm going to get this plan off the ground. I only conceived of the idea last night, and as usual, time could be a limiting factor.

Sallar55

Veteran
Thanks, I might need some help from other members if I'm going to get this plan off the ground. I only conceived of the idea last night, and as usual, time could be a limiting factor.
This could be a big fail, you are asking people what they would do/go. Do they think like you or have the same interests when on tour/holiday?

I reached Colmar last year and very pretty it was too.

View attachment 679209

View attachment 679212

Next time I'll push a bit further to see the mountains. I'll be interested to see how they compare to the Black Forest

Post script to the above: The local newspaper reports that there's a lot of support on both sides of the border for the rail line between Colmar and Freiburg to be reopened. It was originally part of a link between Paris and Vienna but was 'closed' in 1945 by retreating German forces blowing the bridge over the Rhine. The line from Freiburg to Breisach still runs, with the end a few hundred metres from the border, as seen in this badly lit image:

2023_01_07_Kaiserstühl_15_09.jpg

Overly large station building because this used to be a customs post.

This would open a lot more possibilities because I could cycle to the local station, catch a train to Colmar and then explore the other side of the valley.

postman

Legendary Member
My hope is Langstrothdale I am going to cheat ,train to Skipton so it's only 46 miles there and back.I might try to ride back depending on time wise.

Jameshow

Veteran
Fleet Moss is 'a bit of a slog', isn't it? Especially if you were to climb it in both directions in one day! (I have done it both ways but not on one ride.)

As a matter of interest - didn't they scrap the Dales bike bus service?

Slog going north very steep going south!

Been over to the north then east to argasyth or west to Horton in Ribbledale. Lovely roads!!

Top Bottom