Planet X Delivery Charge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
You could also use thr LBS? Now theres a thought..it might stay open instead of having its throat cut..

I buy off the net and yes free post always sounds good but you are paying for post..but theres something nice about buying at the till..we do need to help our bike shops.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
You could also use thr LBS? Now theres a thought..it might stay open instead of having its throat cut..
All well & good if you have a LBS. But the nearest good bike shop to me is 15 miles away :sad:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Good excuse for a little ride. The one I use is 23 miles away, Barron Cycles a right proper shop lad.

It is, but depends what you want & it's not particularly nice rides to any of them, Centre of Hull, or Beverley are my nearest & it isn't somewhere I'd cycle for pleasure. I do use 1 or 2 in Hull sometimes if I'm at work, but they seem to have limited stock/product range as opposed to online :blush:

screenman

Legendary Member
It is, but depends what you want & it's not particularly nice rides to any of them, Centre of Hull, or Beverley are my nearest & it isn't somewhere I'd cycle for pleasure. I do use 1 or 2 in Hull sometimes if I'm at work, but they seem to have limited stock/product range as opposed to online :blush:

You got some great shops in Hull a good what I call friend owns Kingston Cycles.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I really have no problem paying a delivery charge. I used to make and sell silver jewellery. I had a small postage charge of 1.50 for mainland UK and never had a quibble about the cost of it, even on small items. I couldn't find anyone who would give me packaging/padded envelopes for free, nor would the post office deliver them for free so I had to charge. I felt that it was fairer to make a postage charge than to put my prices up. People expected to pay for delivery.

A small postage charge is unlikely to put me off having something delivered. Naturally, if I'm going their way in the very near future, I'll hang on and get it when I'm there.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Your local bike shop is all well and good(and I am a fan of them btw).
But, more often than not they haven't got what you want in stock. Even a place like Evans make you order most things because they don't have it in. And smaller shops, even less so.
As far as Planet X goes. Today I bought a softshell for £35.00+£3.95 postage. Originally priced £120 i think.
This is the reason they won't lose many customers IMHO.

pawl

Legendary Member
I don't think they will lose too many customers at the prices they charge.
I take your point on paying for delivery for something small and cheap, but they are really, really cheap for good quality gear. So it won't be putting me off.
If it means they no longer use Yodell for delivery I will happily pay

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I buy from the LBS for convenience not price. For value I will shop around, just bought a new front mech for my bike rrp £45 PlanetX price £18.99 inc postage. Cheapest place I could find.

ayceejay

Guru
Sign up for the PX newsletter and watch for an offer that will cover the postage. Tyres are competitively priced to begin with so a 10% reduction covers postage to Canada.

I had never shopped at Planet X before this month but their gear is so cheap I thought I would give it a punt. Very pleasantly surprised, good gear certainly worth a few quid on delivery.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Had a weird one at the weekend. Wanted to get some new gloves so clicked "buy". Then I noticed the 105 sprocket dirt cheap, whack that in the basket. Clicked for checkout and the page said "if you order £50 or more then get free delivery!" So I whacked some lights and a chain on it... only it wouldnt let me have the free delivery. :angry:

I also noticed that changing/deleting the items in the basket changed the "free postage" number to seemingly random figures. :huh:
It was a fair bit of cheek to raise the free postage so high from 20 quid though...

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Had a weird one at the weekend. Wanted to get some new gloves so clicked "buy". Then I noticed the 105 sprocket dirt cheap, whack that in the basket. Clicked for checkout and the page said "if you order £50 or more then get free delivery!" So I whacked some lights and a chain on it... only it wouldnt let me have the free delivery. :angry:

I also noticed that changing/deleting the items in the basket changed the "free postage" number to seemingly random figures. :huh:
It was a fair bit of cheek to raise the free postage so high from 20 quid though...

How is it a bit of a cheek?

There is nothing unreasonable about it - It's a simple straight forward business decision.

You either buy into it or you don't.

I think one thing that some people do not realise is that just because they have money to spend that every business actually wants their custom.

Some people will no longer want to deal with PX as they see a small delivery charge as an issue.

PX no longer want to deal with people who see a small delivery charge as an issue.

Seems like a good fit to me.

Top Bottom