Planet X Delivery Charge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
You can order and arrange to collect in-store at PX.
They offer this at the checkout.
Is that a new thing? I'm sure it didn't used to be there: if it was I've totally missed it. That's perfect for me :smile:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Seems quite a radical change. It's one thing to make a basket of very inexpensive gloves, lights, multitools, inner tubes etc etc add up to over £20, very much another thing to fill your basket to add up to over £100. It must put off many of those spur of the moment 'wow, thats a bargain' purchases.

youngoldbloke

Point is what cost you £20 from PX will now cost you £23.95. I know 'free' postage was built into the cost - that is why it is not always the best deal. It pays to shop around.

screenman

Legendary Member
They were losing £3.20 on every delivery under £20 they sent out before.

Well maybe not, but who knows, not us lot for sure.

I like some of their stuff enough not to worry about a bit of postage.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Maybe they decided that encouraging people to buy stuff they didn't really need or want, just to make it up to £20, went against some of their ethical principles.

So instead they're now encouraging people to buy unneeded stuff to make it up to £100?

(I suppose I should mention that while this is effectively a price increase, as long as they send it using the RM, so that it actually arrives at my house using a courier who actually pays a decent wage to their employees, I'm not too bothered.)

BrynCP

Über Member
I've never spent £100 at a time on any online bike shop. That said, it may still be cheaper when adding the delivery charge, but I think it is a psychological thing of seeing the jump at checkout that sends you elsewhere.

You got some great shops in Hull a good what I call friend owns Kingston Cycles.

An ex-colleague used to rate this shop very highly too. I've never been in though despite working just around the corner; when buying a bike I didn't recognise any of their brands (doesn't mean much considering my experience).

The ride from Hornsea to the outside of Hull is nice, I do it quite a lot as a 45 mile loop. But then you have to ride along the busy roads to get to any bike shop. Beverley isn't as busy though, however a 40 mile round trip is a bit far for an inner tube if you wasn't planning that ride already!

jack smith

Veteran
Personally i use free postage places more on small orders but im always on a limited budget but you can imagine how much more theyw ill be making from ordere just by adding the 4 quid to each one... Hundreds a day no doubt

screenman

Legendary Member
Jack here is one for you, say you could work comfortable and earn £1000 a day or you could work stupidly hard for £1050. Which one, the second giving you way less stress and more time on your bike.

You can only have one choice.

youngoldbloke

They were losing £3.20 on every delivery under £20 they sent out before.

Well maybe not, but who knows, not us lot for sure.
Screenman, as you seem to know about these things could you explain how companies such as Wiggle and Chain Reaction make money, while still offering reasonable(ish) prices, AND free returns?

screenman

Legendary Member
2 months and nobody will be thi
I wasnt disagreeing with there logic at all.

I know that now, but do you understand my question. I got rid of a lot of low margin customers a while back and kept the better one's, easy being a busy fool in my trade at least.

Top Bottom