Planet X Delivery Charge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I find that the issue with them is that, excellent though their prices often are, they sell a fairly restricted range of stuff, making it pretty hard, even with the best will in the world, to hit their post-free level.

I am sure that they will be doing lots of analysis/number crunching on this.

I can't help but think that they will adjust it diwnwards after a while.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
How is it a bit of a cheek?

There is nothing unreasonable about it - It's a simple straight forward business decision.

You either buy into it or you don't.

I think one thing that some people do not realise is that just because they have money to spend that every business actually wants their custom.

Some people will no longer want to deal with PX as they see a small delivery charge as an issue.

PX no longer want to deal with people who see a small delivery charge as an issue.

Seems like a good fit to me.

It is cheek when you have a loyal customer base who have come to expect a particular service and then get something else. Whilst people may not choose an outlet on the sole basis of postage it does make you balance up what else you might throw in the basket. There was no real increment, it realistically the removal of free postage for 90% of their customer base.

screenman

Legendary Member
It is cheek when you have a loyal customer base who have come to expect a particular service and then get something else. Whilst people may not choose an outlet on the sole basis of postage it does make you balance up what else you might throw in the basket. There was no real increment, it realistically the removal of free postage for 90% of their customer base.

What if you had started making a loss on these sales.

Out of interest where did your number 90 come from?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Honestly it was never, ever free postage. The one thing I disagree with is what they have done is the notional £3.95 rather than a simple by weight calculation which most ecommerce software allows you to do.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
What if you had started making a loss on these sales.

Out of interest where did your number 90 come from?
Its a guestimate from others I speak to.

I'm not saying they should even be at risk of making a loss, but there are better ways to deal with things.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Honestly it was never, ever free postage. The one thing I disagree with is what they have done is the notional £3.95 rather than a simple by weight calculation which most ecommerce software allows you to do.
Again, I accept that. See above - its about communication and the threshold.

screenman

Legendary Member

It is just not about weight though. I like the £3.95 it is less than I charge.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Since Wiggle and Chain Reaction introduced their carriage charges I have looked elsewhere for those under £10/£9 purchases to get them post free if possible. Suspect I won't be buying much from Planet X either in the future either unless they pass my 'price quoted + carriage charge still cheaper than elsewhere' test. Over £100 does seem a bit steep to me. In the end I will continue looking for the lowest cost deal - I can't afford not to.

screenman

Legendary Member
Its a guestimate from others I speak to.

I'm not saying they should even be at risk of making a loss, but there are better ways to deal with things.

So it could be 9% which for the work involved with sending out penny items, they might be happy to lose.

You cannot please all of the people all of the time.

KneesUp

Guru
It would be nice if PX had a 'click and collect' option.

I know I'm not the only one to have gone to their store in Rotherham expecting most or all of the stuff they sell online to be there, only to find that hardly any of it is.

Click and collect is good because it gives them economies of scale (i.e. they will be taking multiple orders to the same place) plus an opportunity to sell more stuff to the customer when they collect. And it's good for me because I can get there for less than the cost of carriage if I'm going to be that side of town anyway.

dodgy

If I could be bothered, I'd go to PX and Wiggle, Ribble, CRC and fill a virtual basket with some common items (ultegra chain, a michelin pro race 4 tyre etc) then compare total cost.

But I can't.

But when it comes to my next shopping spree, that's what I will do. I won't be surprised if it's still on the whole cheaper at PX, if it isn't, simple decision isn't it?
Can't see what the fuss is all about.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
It would be nice if PX had a 'click and collect' option.

I know I'm not the only one to have gone to their store in Rotherham expecting most or all of the stuff they sell online to be there, only to find that hardly any of it is.

Click and collect is good because it gives them economies of scale (i.e. they will be taking multiple orders to the same place) plus an opportunity to sell more stuff to the customer when they collect. And it's good for me because I can get there for less than the cost of carriage if I'm going to be that side of town anyway.
You can order and arrange to collect in-store at PX.
They offer this at the checkout.

Top Bottom