Planet-X Latest £999 Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
I think it's one of the fugliest bikes I've seen!

OP
OP
D

doyler78

simonali said:
I think it's one of the fugliest bikes I've seen!

In think that pic doesn't do it any justice. What colour is that bike supposed to be? It looks grey to me but there is no grey on the list.

A true black or a white would look better I think. Think I will give the pink a miss now that T-Mobile have disappeared its no longer cool :biggrin: Blue just seems a strange colour as I just can't imagine it - probably would need to see before I would buy and that's no going to happen.

Monkey Boy

For what it's worth, I got the Cayo Ultegra last year and absolutely luuurrrve it. Wiggle were splendid in their service.....and I've been back a few times since (a half price tool kit is in the post)

simonali

Guru
doyler78 said:
In think that pic doesn't do it any justice.

Head tube area of the frame is horrible, as is the saddle, seatpost, chainset, forks, decals and no doubt the cheapo (£33 - ebay) brakes. DA shifters are pretty hideous, too.

Think if I ever bought another road bike it'd have to have a Campy transmission, as Ergos are much better looking.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

simonali said:
Head tube area of the frame is horrible, as is the saddle, seatpost, chainset, forks, decals and no doubt the cheapo (£33 - ebay) brakes. DA shifters are pretty hideous, too.

Think if I ever bought another road bike it'd have to have a Campy transmission, as Ergos are much better looking.

Fair enough you see ugly. I see a bike. Guess my lack of knowledge will allow me to purchase something considerably cheaper than a critically eye would with little affect on ride quality I'm hoping but I guess I wouldn't know anyway however they all get favourably reviewed by most that ride them so suppose they can't all be wrong.

As a matter of interest how do you rate the Focus Cayo for aesthetics? Would it be more pleasing to the eye?

If neither has the wow factor what would at my price point of £1,000 and carbon frame is a must.

Monsieur Pumpe

Has anyone mentioned the wheels?

It's got planet x branded wheels. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a bit of an unknown quantity. I wouldn't worry about the cassette, it'll probably last a little longer than the DA. The brakes are an easy upgrade if needed. I'd say it's a good buy, and they've sold shed loads of those frames too.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Monsieur Pumpe said:

It's got planet x branded wheels. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a bit of an unknown quantity. I wouldn't worry about the cassette, it'll probably last a little longer than the DA. The brakes are an easy upgrade if needed. I'd say it's a good buy, and they've sold shed loads of those frames too.

Now that is something I would be interested in as it is the wheels that everyone mentions when they talk upgrades therefore clearly these will have big impact on performance. They seem light enough for entry level wheels @ 1570gm for a pair whereas the Focus Cayo weighs in at 1855gm so there's a big weight difference here. Whether they stand up to any abuse well anyone?

simonali

Guru
doyler78 said:
As a matter of interest how do you rate the Focus Cayo for aesthetics? Would it be more pleasing to the eye?

Much more pleasing to my eye. They've saved money again on the chainset (is Shimano stuff really that dear?), but it does have the gruppo brakes this time.

Review of an older model here.

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/1940/v/2/sp/

Shame you weren't looking a little while ago as Wiggle were knocking out '07 Cayos for about 700 quid!

wafflycat

Monsieur Pumpe said:

Lots of PlanetX bikes with PlanetX wheels at time trials. *Lots* of them. Everyone I know of who has a PlanetX bike & the wheels is more than happy with their purchases. I'd not have any worries about purchasing PlanetX wheels if I was in the market to buy wheels at the moment.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

simonali said:
Much more pleasing to my eye. They've saved money again on the chainset (is Shimano stuff really that dear?), but it does have the gruppo brakes this time.

Review of an older model here.

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/1940/v/2/sp/

Shame you weren't looking a little while ago as Wiggle were knocking out '07 Cayos for about 700 quid!

To be honest I am stuck between both bikes at the min and it will really only be when I go to buy that I will probably go just with what feel rights when committing my money. My gut says Focus but my head says Planet-X at the min. The difference in wheel weights, which if right, look huge to me and along with the Dura-Ace components makes me think I will get a something that will last longer before needing upgrading whereas the Focus may need upgrading sooner though how much I would actually notice any differences in reality is debatable. I guess that's the benefit of LBS and being able to test ride the bikes and just go on what feel right. It's a risk but one I think is worth taking.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

wafflycat said:
Lots of PlanetX bikes with PlanetX wheels at time trials. *Lots* of them. Everyone I know of who has a PlanetX bike & the wheels is more than happy with their purchases. I'd not have any worries about purchasing PlanetX wheels if I was in the market to buy wheels at the moment.

Good to know.

bobbyp

I've got a pair of Planet X carbon wheels and they seem great so far. Only been used in anger a few times but they are certainly light and seem strong (and I'm not the lightest of riders)

Also got a PX cross bike that I'm building at the moment (should be finished sometime after the season). Frame seems nicely designed and put together.

As far as I can tell PX are decent quality products at cheap prices. They've cut out most of the distribution chain and marketing costs so the savinsg get passed on to us and we can buy more shiny things. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

MichaelM

Guru
My lbs sells some Planet X stuff.

I was looking over the SL Pro Carbon the other day (Ultegra model) and it certainly looks better "in the flesh" than that photo suggests. The wheels certainly look good - one of the staff claims the hubs are re-badged American Classic hubs.

I'm seriously temted - the dithering continues as to whether or not to buy, or put a Centaur groupset and some decent wheels on mt Lemond.

Top Bottom