PlanetX - calls in the administrators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Remember when they paid big bucks for those two carlton bicycles that were previously owned by someone who shall not be named?

A week later he was outed as a pitlthy fervert and they were near worthless by association. I wonder whatll happen to the bikes if they do go under?

Never bought anything from them, but I did always think of them as a high end premium brand. The constant sales and discounting devalued their brand IMO.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Remember when they paid big bucks for those two carlton bicycles that were previously owned by someone who shall not be named?

A week later he was outed as a pitlthy fervert and they were near worthless by association. I wonder whatll happen to the bikes if they do go under?

Weren't they Viking Superlights?

I bought loads of components and bits and pieces from them over the last 10 years I guess. I think they claimed to be the biggest bike manufacturer in the UK after Brompton but of course that was assembling bikes from Asian parts rather than full manufacturing. Any business with any sort of debt on a variable rate I'm sure is really suffering at the moment and bike sales have slowed except perhaps for ebikes and Planet X never really did that much in the way of ebikes.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I often wonder if some cyclists make terrible customers. Me? Apart from a new bike and servicing I rarely spend anything on cycling as I have everything I need. My last purchase was in October '22, a padded gilet from Galibier, this I needed as I have always suffered from being cold in winter, as I get older it has begun to get worse. I bought 3 base layers from Planet X 2-3 years ago when a friend pointed out they were great value - I can't see these needing replacing in the near future. Recently I thought about a new summer jersey, then decided four is enough. I do see many things I desire but rarely, if ever, buy them.

On the other hand I have a cycling buddy who is forever turning up wearing something new, a new gadget or whatever. These things always seem interesting, fun to have etc. but needed?

If customers like me are in the majority I can see why retailers struggle, if my buddy is typical then perhaps there's a different answer to the question. I unsubscribe from all marketing emails, I don't plan to read them so why have the clutter in my Inbox. Another aspect is I always buy what I perceive to be quality as I'm looking for good performance and longevity, neither of these have I associated with Planet X so unless pointed in that direction I would never be a customer.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Another aspect is I always buy what I perceive to be quality as I'm looking for good performance and longevity, neither of these have I associated with Planet X so unless pointed in that direction I would never be a customer.
I have a different perception of PX I have bought loads of stuff from them and will be sorry if they dissappear, I have stated this many times, "The OnOne Pickenflick Ti frame I have was the cheapest Ti I have bought (I have had six) but it has been the best, it has had some serious abuse but is still been ridden.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I bought loads of components and bits and pieces from them over the last 10 years I guess. I think they claimed to be the biggest bike manufacturer in the UK after Brompton but of course that was assembling bikes from Asian parts rather than full manufacturing. Any business with any sort of debt on a variable rate I'm sure is really suffering at the moment and bike sales have slowed except perhaps for ebikes and Planet X never really did that much in the way of ebikes.

Its true,I've had to buy a new bike as my other was stolen and I've visited a few bike shops recently regarding looking for one. Most were totally empty bar the staff, apart from Halfords. Obviously if people are struggling financially the last thing they will be buying is a new bike.

Top Bottom