Planning my first solo one nighter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, I am planning on doing my first solo one night camping. Some people may have been wondering when I going to get started in pulling my finger out and just doing it, as the past posts of tent, equipment and bike buying has shown.

The plan is to cycle to a campsite about 25 miles away near Morpeth on Friday 21st September. Apparently it's a pub with a big field behind it. I think it's called the Oak Inn, if anyone's been to it. I've only tried pitching my tent up once and it took a lot longer than 10 minutes which it stated (45 minutes)

So, pitch the tent, go for a couple of drinks and something to eat at the bar, sleep in tent on Friday night and then cycle back home on Saturday 22nd September.

I've got butterflies in my stomach either from worry, excitement or both. The things that are bothering me are that it's my first solo camp and am l going to be the only camper in the field.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think you have the order of things wrong. On your first trip you go for a couple of drinks (and then a few more), find out it is too late for food and then try and setup your tent in the dark whilst pissed and starving.

Being the only camper is my idea of bliss.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Wait for your first night bivouacing in the African bush.

Or: In a pine forest in South West France with heroine addicts shooting up in the clearing you almost struck camp two hours earlier.

Those are stories for another time. In the meantime have a blast. You’ll love it and the feeling of accomplishment afterwards.

Top tip if you are drinking: Take an empty Lucozade bottle :okay:

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Wait for your first night bivouacing in the African bush.

Or: In a pine forest in South West France with heroine addicts shooting up in the clearing you almost struck camp two hours earlier.

Those are stories for another time. In the meantime have a blast. You’ll love it and the feeling of accomplishment afterwards.

Top tip if you are drinking: Take an empty Lucozade bottle :okay:
I take it that's an empty 2 ltr bottle in case of overfill. Lol

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Always better to be outside the tent peeing out than inside the tent peeing in.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I've just checked the weather forecast for Friday and it's very windy Any tips on pitching a tent in the wind?

Inner/outer/both/single skin first? What tent is it?

Keep everything in the panniers until you need it then stand to windward and peg, clip on etc as you go. Close all zips. Don’t have guys flailing about loose. Secure the windward guys first. Get the wind to help you.

If in doubt get another camper to give you a hand.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've just checked the weather forecast for Friday and it's very windy Any tips on pitching a tent in the wind?
Bloody big tent pegs,

772100210000.jpg

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Long guy lines and get the pegs in at 45° or shallower. They'll be pulled out otherwise.
Start pegging as you're unrolling if possible. Less chance of the wind picking it up and watching it sail away across the field. Speaking from experience :blush:

Have to admit I'm jealous. I'd planned on having my first solo camp over with the bike this weekend too but finances etc have bollixed it up.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Inner/outer/both/single skin first? What tent is it?

Keep everything in the panniers until you need it then stand to windward and peg, clip on etc as you go. Close all zips. Don’t have guys flailing about loose. Secure the windward guys first. Get the wind to help you.

If in doubt get another camper to give you a hand.
It's a tunnel tent. It has an inner and an outer, it also only has two poles. The maker states it's a tent for first time campers.

Top Bottom