Planning my first solo one nighter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Looks a bit rainy for Basingstoke as well. I'm about 10 degrees cooler in Mid Central U.S., Downstate Illinois. But I was about 10 degrees warmer yesterday, and about 10 degrees warmer yet in Fahrenheit the day before. I'll need a few days to acclimate, but it's still a bit cool out there. Could still work some camping in, just won't get released by Dr. in time, I now fear.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
I'm guessing not and as the weather's not exactly conducive to first time camping in guessing it's unlikely to happen at all now (Or at least untill the spring).
Should have just got on with it whilst the weather was good, even I'm thinking twice about camping now and I've got no sense whatsoever!
You are correct, I didn't, and also correct about waiting till Spring. I will have more camping/touring gear by then which will make it easier. I am also going to purchase a bivvy bag (not an expensive one) and basha. Got no excuse for not going out then and camp sites not necessarily needed lol

You are correct, I didn't, and also correct about waiting till Spring. I will have more camping/touring gear by then which will make it easier. I am also going to purchase a bivvy bag (not an expensive one) and basha. Got no excuse for not going out then and camp sites not necessarily needed lol

Don't wait till next year, the weather is supposed to be good this weekend

If I can wangle Friday night, I'll go myself

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Don't wait till next year, the weather is supposed to be good this weekend

If I can wangle Friday night, I'll go myself
I would also, but it's the cost thing. Campsite and food I would need about £20 which I haven't got. Bivvy/bashing, won't be getting them until after payday on 19th. Depending on weather could be last weekend in October

Milzy

Guru
Last time I camped, there was 40 mph winds slamming into the tent & I didn’t sleep a wink because of the noise.

I'm guessing not and as the weather's not exactly conducive to first time camping in guessing it's unlikely to happen at all now (Or at least untill the spring).
Should have just got on with it whilst the weather was good, even I'm thinking twice about camping now and I've got no sense whatsoever!
It's been very mild of late.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Speaking of the weather, last week, I had 85 degrees on Monday and Tuesday, but by Friday, it snowed all afternoon. Hard to pack for Midwestern weather in the States, at times.

Just a little useless info from my own experience on cycling solo, not that you're going far, but you just might.

https://www.stephenpeel.co.uk/blog/going-solo-loneliness

That is a great post, John. I'd recommend it to anyone thinking of heading off on a tour, long or otherwise (and your blog, too!)

I skipped reading it the first time when I saw the "loneliness" tag, but I shouldn't have been put off. There is so much information on going solo in one post.

John Peel

That is a great post, John. I'd recommend it to anyone thinking of heading off on a tour, long or otherwise (and your blog, too!)

I skipped reading it the first time when I saw the "loneliness" tag, but I shouldn't have been put off. There is so much information on going solo in one post.

Thank you. Yes, I guess the loneliness part in the lead is a little off putting, but it's a question I'm asked all the time on the road, and it's a real part of a very long bicycle tour. I am looking forward to continuing on from Vietnam in a few weeks time.

Steve

Top Bottom