Planning my first solo one nighter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanZac

Forecast for this weekend is looking good for an early autumn jaunt. Probably a bit nippy in the mornings so take a few extra layers, and it gets dark early so make sure you've got a torch for getting back from the pub other than that it's ideal and campsites will be pretty quiet now the kids are back to school.
Don't leave it too late for your first trial run, unfortunately it's only likely to get colder, wetter and darker from here on.

DanZac

I had some right funny looks from the neighbours trying out my new tent in the front garden (No grass out the back). Personally I couldn't see anything wrong with camping in the front garden in Febuary, they all seemed to think it was a bit weird though. I suppose they may have had a point as it was a bit nippy, but it was a new tent and I had to try it out!

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
I put mine up in the garden first, just to make sure there were no foibles that I needed to be aware of once out and about
Yes, I tried that in my friends garden and it took a bit longer than I thought but it was the 30mph winds that put me off with the tent building. I think it would have been better if the conditions were better else it could have put me off solo camping from the start

John Peel

So, I am planning on doing my first solo one night camping. Some people may have been wondering when I going to get started in pulling my finger out and just doing it, as the past posts of tent, equipment and bike buying has shown.

The plan is to cycle to a campsite about 25 miles away near Morpeth on Friday 21st September. Apparently it's a pub with a big field behind it. I think it's called the Oak Inn, if anyone's been to it. I've only tried pitching my tent up once and it took a lot longer than 10 minutes which it stated (45 minutes)

So, pitch the tent, go for a couple of drinks and something to eat at the bar, sleep in tent on Friday night and then cycle back home on Saturday 22nd September.

I've got butterflies in my stomach either from worry, excitement or both. The things that are bothering me are that it's my first solo camp and am l going to be the only camper in the field.

It will be great. Don't worry about special bottles to pee in, just use one of your bikes water bottles and give it a rinse out the next morning. Don't be tempted to hand your tackle out of the tent to pee, a tent zipper is far worse than your pants fly :smile:

My first night was on my way down south from Cheshire, it rained all day and setting up the tent was a pain, and in the middle of the night I awoke in screaming agony, as muscles in my right leg had slightly torn due to not being a cyclist before taking on the world :smile:

A campsite to yourself means hopefully a quiet night. A rare thing on campsites.

Drink a lot, but when zipping up the tent, just be sure you're on the inside and not the out :smile:

John Peel

I've just checked the weather forecast for Friday and it's very windy Any tips on pitching a tent in the wind?

Get the inside bit up and throw all your gear in it to weight it down while you finish the rest.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I always work from windward to leeward when pitching a tent. Which reminds me, I need to pack my tent away for winter soon. If I were going to tour this time of year, I'd be staying indoors.

Wait for your first night bivouacing in the African bush.

Or: In a pine forest in South West France with heroine addicts shooting up in the clearing you almost struck camp two hours earlier.

Those are stories for another time. In the meantime have a blast. You’ll love it and the feeling of accomplishment afterwards.

Top tip if you are drinking: Take an empty Lucozade bottle :okay:
Please enjoy... you will I'm sure. My tip carry a small pocket book note what you need next time and what you didn't need. Cheers mate Pedals n Crank.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've done a few one-or-two night tours, but not involving camping.
St Ives, Cambs - cheap hotel, pub with a band. Good fun.
Norfolk - pubs with rooms, and coffee and cakes with Wafflycat, formerly of this parish.
Nearly drowned in the rain., and got pissed both nights.
Peak District - pub with rooms. Did the High Peak trail, Tissington Trail, Monsale Head Trail and Manifold Track.
Got utterly trollied Saturday night :biggrin: as the very chatty locals insisted I stayed drinking with them.
Great Yarmouth - cheap B&B. Did a long ride up the coast and back round the Broads, made myself a bit ill on the fair, pub with a band. Excellent!

Top Bottom