Planning my first solo one nighter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Look to see if there is natural shelter from hedges or outbuildings; As per a bivvy at the windiest place in Britain....

IMG_4525.JPG

If really windy, don't pitch under trees etc. where there's a possibility of a heavy thud in the night!
Pitch the pointy end (usually the foot end) into the wind first then work downwind pitching towards the entrance
Angle the pegs as mentioned. Get the rough shape up first then finesse according to conditions.
Get a decent head-torch.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
It's a tunnel tent. It has an inner and an outer, it also only has two poles. The maker states it's a tent for first time campers.

Nice, but inner first or outer? Or all in one? (Wind is dropping already her in the SW)

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I always use the little stakes that come with the tent to tie down my ground sheet, and buy the big plastic ones or the three finned aluminum ones for the tent itself. The tent goes up a little faster every time you do it. I also get the cordage with reflective threads in it, so you can see it with a torch, in case of a need for guylines. Headtorch, as mentioned above, is a great idea, as is a sheet for inside the tent, one of those inflatable l.e.d. lanterns, and not getting p*ssed in the pub.

jay clock

Massive member
You sound little uncertain about the pub name. Presumably you can google it and call them to check the arrangements

Re the nighttime peeing, when you get to my age you would be in and out a few times. so +1 for the bottle plan

I have done 35 nights cycle camping this year and LOVE it

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
I've now decided the camp is off this weekend. For a first time solo camp I think better conditions would be needed. Many things could go wrong and believe me the amount of luck I have things will go wrong. Hopefully I can keep some money back and do it in couple weeks time.

I've now decided the camp is off this weekend. For a first time solo camp I think better conditions would be needed. Many things could go wrong and believe me the amount of luck I have things will go wrong. Hopefully I can keep some money back and do it in couple weeks time.

this could give you the chance of learning to pitch in the rain (in you garden if you have one) and testing your kit. if it gets too bad, you can always head inside.

no fun being wet for a weekend with no chance of drying out

Dic Deryn

Über Member
Good call all round, like the 25 mile local pilot idea. I did something similar at the begining of the summer, this built my confidece as well as giving me the opportunity to check gear, both cycling and camping wise.

The beer, cycling and campign combo is the best, I hope the weather is with you.

I would suggest, that you pack everything on the bike, take a circular route from your house, come back home then practise setting up your tent and equipment in the Garden, and packing up afterwards, this will see if you have the kit balanced ok, you will be able to check what kit you don't need, also it allows you to practise dismantling your tent and equipment which if it raining is something you need to have practised. by practising at home you don't have people other than family watching you making a pig's ear of it. Also, it keeps the family amused. Even after many years of backpacking and cycle touring its something I still do, just to shake out the kit and the bike. Also, make a habit of checking the bike over after the evening meal to oil the chain, tighten any screws or fastenings which might have loosened up during the days ride and tyres for any thorns or flints and pressure. Don't leave it to the morning as any problems will eat into your day's schedules

Top Bottom