Please don't wear helmets*!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
that is the inbuilt water cooling system!
Cheers Ed
Thing with that is, what you trying to hide?

classic33

Leg End Member
Unfortunately we now inhabit a world where to put ones hand up and say I was wrong is increasingly rare [as evidenced by politicians unless they have just lost an election]. I have yet to hear an explanation as to why a whole nation across the North Sea think it perfectly safe to ride without helmets, and from a very young age. Please do not say it is because there are lots of cycle paths over there because the vast majority of accidents on a bike in the UK do not involve a third party. So, either our continental neighbours are more skilful than us [not totally implausible having witnessed the antics of some sportive riders] or when they do crash it doesn't actually do much damage. Heck, it could mean cycling is not dangerous, now there is a radical thought for all you helmet wearers, 'course you wouldn't look like a pro anymore if you ditched it.
Off to the Netherlands and Belgium on Monday touring, can't wait.
Do we follow their lead?
Dutch.jpg

I sometimes wonder how sunglasses behave in an accident and whether they can cause more damage.

An interesting one.

I have "plastic" lenses both as an insert and outer as true "Glass" is nasty in an accident

This article suggests that in sport (In general) protective eyewear does offer a proven decrease in eye injuries.

(PS - CAUTION there are some unpleasant images, nothing obscene or gratuitous, but unpleasant)

There is also a ecommendation for glasses specifications:
Recommendations for Protective Eyewear
2-mm polycarbonate lenses in normal streetwear frames (for athletes who need corrective lenses and are involved in low-risk sports).

Sports frames with a 3-mm polycarbonate lens (for athletes participating in moderate- to high-risk sports). Eye protection should be used by athletes who wear contact lenses and by those who do not need corrective lenses. The athlete with refractive errors should wear prescription polycarbonate lenses.

A sturdy sports frame meeting impact-resistance standards (i.e., ASTM F803-01) is required. Eyeguards without lenses do not pass ASTM racquet sports eye safety standards.

Face masks attached to a helmet should be used in sports such as hockey, football, baseball, and lacrosse.

However perhaps it is another one of those where the individual needs to have a free choice to decide whether the risk of the glasses causing an injury is outweighed by the benefit of preventing other injuries

Especially as there are those who don't believe in that choice:

If you're on a bike and not wearing a bike helmet your an idiot. The same applies to cycling sunglasses. You should wear your cycling sunglasses in any weather and in any light. If it's dark choose a clear or low light lens.
Shame as much of the rest of the article made sense

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
An interesting one.

I have "plastic" lenses both as an insert and outer as true "Glass" is nasty in an accident

This article suggests that in sport (In general) protective eyewear does offer a proven decrease in eye injuries.

(PS - CAUTION there are some unpleasant images, nothing obscene or gratuitous, but unpleasant)

There is also a ecommendation for glasses specifications:

However perhaps it is another one of those where the individual needs to have a free choice to decide whether the risk of the glasses causing an injury is outweighed by the benefit of preventing other injuries

Especially as there are those who don't believe in that choice:

Shame as much of the rest of the article made sense

Interesting reads. It's worth noting that the study is really concerned with high and very high risk sports (bats, balls, fighting, etc) and the second article is an opinion piece.

I definitely agree that it's worth wearing them to stop from crap getting in your eye, it was more about how they behave in an accident.

A punch in the face when you're wearing glasses isn't much fun, for example. But I suspect the softer build of sports sunglasses and the way facial injuries tend to occur in cycling is radically different.

Interesting reads. It's worth noting that the study is really concerned with high and very high risk sports (bats, balls, fighting, etc) and the second article is an opinion piece.

I definitely agree that it's worth wearing them to stop from crap getting in your eye, it was more about how they behave in an accident.

A punch in the face when you're wearing glasses isn't much fun, for example. But I suspect the softer build of sports sunglasses and the way facial injuries tend to occur in cycling is radically different.

As with all evidence, it needs to be read with an awareness of the writer's position, and assessed

The second was from a manufacturer so was never going to be non-partisan

Also (as in my reply to David K,) there is an overall acceptance of glasses as a safety device with their use across a wide range of sports - we don't get the limitation of the benefits to one small minority group.

It does however mean that there is little research or work on that minority group though

My nephew was injured in an accident by a large fragment of the peak of of his helmet embedding itself into his face. He has a nasty scar on his face but it may have prevented worse injuries.

doog

I didn't see this at the time:

...but I guess it means @doog has never read my posts about how my injury cleared up after I stopped wearing a crash helmet.

No, I always have a statistician on board my bike and I seem to get the same carp as everyone else! :laugh:

Just catching up and no I never read your posts about your injury...my apologies...Ilke most I simply cannot read every post on the forum but trust me Im glad you injury is cleared up :okay:

Last edited:
So it didn't work then...
Sort of yes and no. The helmet worked but the peak broke and embedded itself into his cheek, he had to go around with it protuding from his face until a surgeon could extract it without causing nerve damage.
My nephew tried to contact the manufacturer to warn them of this problem but they were not interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom