Please don't wear helmets*!!

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by Tin Pot, 27 Jul 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Do we follow their lead?
    Dutch.jpg

robsa, Illaveago and totallyfixed like this.
  2. young Ed

young Ed Veteran

i beautiful face, if i let people see it for free i wouldn't make any money out of all my modelling!
    Cheers Ed

Illaveago and classic33 like this.
  3. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Wasnt there an actor who once said:

When I was young I as into model making, now I am more successful I am into making models

Illaveago likes this.
  4. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

An interesting one.

I have "plastic" lenses both as an insert and outer as true "Glass" is nasty in an accident

This article suggests that in sport (In general) protective eyewear does offer a proven decrease in eye injuries.

(PS - CAUTION there are some unpleasant images, nothing obscene or gratuitous, but unpleasant)

There is also a ecommendation for glasses specifications:
    However perhaps it is another one of those where the individual needs to have a free choice to decide whether the risk of the glasses causing an injury is outweighed by the benefit of preventing other injuries

Especially as there are those who don't believe in that choice:

Shame as much of the rest of the article made sense

Illaveago and classic33 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

Interesting reads. It's worth noting that the study is really concerned with high and very high risk sports (bats, balls, fighting, etc) and the second article is an opinion piece.

I definitely agree that it's worth wearing them to stop from crap getting in your eye, it was more about how they behave in an accident.

A punch in the face when you're wearing glasses isn't much fun, for example. But I suspect the softer build of sports sunglasses and the way facial injuries tend to occur in cycling is radically different.

6. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

As with all evidence, it needs to be read with an awareness of the writer's position, and assessed

The second was from a manufacturer so was never going to be non-partisan

Also (as in my reply to David K,) there is an overall acceptance of glasses as a safety device with their use across a wide range of sports - we don't get the limitation of the benefits to one small minority group.

It does however mean that there is little research or work on that minority group though

classic33 and Tin Pot like this.
  7. Illaveago

Illaveago Veteran

My nephew was injured in an accident by a large fragment of the peak of of his helmet embedding itself into his face. He has a nasty scar on his face but it may have prevented worse injuries.

8. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

The Giro Aspect has a cloth visor that (in theory) should fold and detach

Illaveago likes this.
  9. Illaveago

Illaveago Veteran

As you mentioned safety helmets should prevent injuries and not cause them.

10. Regulator

Regulator Scourge of stale, pale, male snowflakes.

So it didn't work then...

Illaveago likes this.
  11. doog

doog ....

Im back ,you tagged me...how can I help tonight:okay:

david k likes this.
  12. doog

doog ....

Just catching up and no I never read your posts about your injury...my apologies...Ilke most I simply cannot read every post on the forum but trust me Im glad you injury is cleared up :okay:

Last edited: 2 Aug 2015
    Illaveago and david k like this.
  13. Illaveago

Illaveago Veteran

Sort of yes and no. The helmet worked but the peak broke and embedded itself into his cheek, he had to go around with it protuding from his face until a surgeon could extract it without causing nerve damage.
    My nephew tried to contact the manufacturer to warn them of this problem but they were not interested.

14. OP
    OP
    Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

classic33, Illaveago and winjim like this.
  15. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

There is a LOT of evidence that covering your helmet in bed prevents accidents

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice