Please don't wear helmets*!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Helmet usage could be seen like this.
Truth.jpg

Sorry about the piece on the bottom of the picture.​

So do we agree with the OP, it's always the drivers fault?

From the first reply..... that is not the case.

Each of the studies I quoted shows that in about 80% of cases the driver of the vehicle is "at fault"
It differs across a wide spectrum, as originally posted including factors such as age
If you look at kids and teenagers, then the figures change and the cyclist becomes the "at fault" party more often. there is an argument that this itself "skews" the figures and the driver would be at fault more often than the 80% figures if only adult accidents wee included

The thing that we can conclude is that the driver is consistently "at fault" more often than the cyclist.

classic33

Leg End Member
I was hit by a car whose driver thought I was a bus. Does that make it unsafe to travel on buses?

Will helmet usage become obsolete when driverless cars become the majority vehicle on the roads?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Will helmet usage become obsolete when driverless cars become the majority vehicle on the roads?

Not in the publics mind I don't think. They aren't there to protect you from accidents with cars because car drivers are all saintly angels. They are there to stop you hurting your head in those daily 'just falling off incidents' that cyclist must always have.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Not in the publics mind I don't think. They aren't there to protect you from accidents with cars because car drivers are all saintly angels. They are there to stop you hurting your head in those daily 'just falling off incidents' that cyclist must always have.
I get the impression that that's what a lot of cyclists think too, not so much the saintly angels bit but that the protection will be provided if/when you fall off not if/when you get run over.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I get the impression that that's what a lot of cyclists think too, not so much the saintly angels bit but that the protection will be provided if/when you fall off not if/when you get run over.
To be fair, it's largely why I wear one when I do. Agreed, mentally (probably a bad choice of word) I figure the falling down will generally be because of car involvement but it's only there because I don't want to be dealing with chipped teeth/road rash it has nothing at all to do with protection from the big lump of metal.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
To be fair, it's largely why I wear one when I do. Agreed, mentally (probably a bad choice of word) I figure the falling down will generally be because of car involvement but it's only there because I don't want to be dealing with chipped teeth/road rash it has nothing at all to do with protection from the big lump of metal.
Do you think you would stop if cars were driverless?

david k

Hi
It perpetuates the myth that cyclists safety is in our own hands!

Truck and car drivers will kill you and blame you. They need to know it's their behaviour that kills, not ours.

Also,

*Please note that I neither condone nor condemn helmet wearing when cycling.
No ambiguity there, it is their behaviour that kills not ours, very clear, no mention of percent or some of the time, simply them who kills not us, simply 100% no inference at all.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I was hit by a car whose driver thought I was a bus. Does that make it unsafe to travel on buses?

Hmm.

The reason most people want us to wear them won't change I would guess, because driverless cars will still make mistakes.

I would say that safety equipment for cyclists retains its current value for falling off incidents and technical off-road stuff.

British Dental Association agree about chipped teeth

They want helmets with far better facial protection

Something that only s full face model will provide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom