Plumbers world thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
My apologies @Milzy hadn’t appreciated the nutted end on the flexi’s. This would work I think? It’s a male screw onto a speed fit on the other end?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-speedfit-straight-service-valve-x/10330
That is exactly what I needed times 2. Great find!
However I found a few isolators in the loft never used dry stored. Worked a charm.

irw

Quadricyclist
You can't attach the 1/2" nut on the flexi pipe direct to the end on the isolator (it's 1/2" but the end is tapered for an olive).

I think you'll find you can, as it would appear I've unknowingly done just that on probably every single tap connector in my house :s (Generally speaking with a good lashing of PTFE tape, which may be why I've got away with it...)

Now being aware of your link, whether you should or not is the question...!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You can probably bodge the end of a compression fitting male end ( without the nut ) into the female end of a tap hose if you use some PTFE tape or string. It probably won't leak subsequently if it works when you first attempt it.

newts

Veteran
I think you'll find you can, as it would appear I've unknowingly done just that on probably every single tap connector in my house :s (Generally speaking with a good lashing of PTFE tape, which may be why I've got away with it...)

Now being aware of your link, whether you should or not is the question...!
It might be OK in the short term, the rubber washer in the flexi hose is only sealing on thin edge of a compression fitting:wacko:

irw

Quadricyclist
It might be OK in the short term, the rubber washer in the flexi hose is only sealing on thin edge of a compression fitting:wacko:
Well thankfully I’ve installed everything in such a way that I can get to it again, so it won’t be too much of a bore to sort out if I notice anything untoward!

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I used no PFTE tape or seal gunk on the threads. Tightened tight but not silly tight to crush the pipe.
So far so good. If the rubber washer starts to fail I’m sure it will let you know with a tiny dripping to begin with. I could get a H20 alarm in there. Also maybe turn water off when on holiday :biggrin:

newts

Veteran
I used no PFTE tape or seal gunk on the threads. Tightened tight but not silly tight to crush the pipe.
So far so good. If the rubber washer starts to fail I’m sure it will let you know with a tiny dripping to begin with. I could get a H20 alarm in there. Also maybe turn water off when on holiday :biggrin:
Turning the water off before going on holiday is a very good idea. A lot of home insurance companies insist on it for cover in the very small print.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Flexi pipes on mains pressure is a no from me!
I was chatting to a pal yesterday and he told me that he has had 2 of them fail in the past year. Fortunately, both times he wasn't far away when the leaks occurred so he managed to turn off the water with minimal water damage. As he said though... imagine being away on holiday and coming back to a house with several days worth of water sloshing about in it! :eek:

I did a quick Google and found that this is a known issue. A lot of people suggesting that the safest thing if you are going to use them is to replace them every 5 years. THIS ARTICLE discusses the issue.

PS There are 5 of them in this house and 4 of them are over 6 years old (they were here when I moved in)! One is 2 years old.

newts

Veteran
Flexi Connectors have been used regularly in europe for several decades & in the UK commonly for 20+ years.
Incomptent installation by twisting the hose or supply pipework not being secured sufficiently will likely lead to stress on these type of connections & cause of leaks.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
As someone mentioned insurance companies recommend turning mains water off when away from home. I think I’ll start to practise this just incase. I’m pleased with my plumbing so far but in a few years it may start to dribble & need parts replacing.

Top Bottom