PM's How Private?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Okay they're now called conversations, but the basic questions remains the same.
How private should they be?
Rules say don't include anything that you'd not post on the forum. But try posting your phone number in Classifieds & see how long it stays there.

How would you feel if something given in one was passed onto a third party?

Is there an undefined line that can be crossed, so long as you can feel justified in doing so.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Generally speaking I would always say "here's my number, but keep it to yourself please"

Due to the amount t of confidential info I've been involved with all my career, I would never pass things like a number or any other personal details I had obtained on a one-to-one basis without expressly seeking the consent of the owner in the first place. Unfortunately, not everybody behaves like this, and stuff gets shared unthinkingly.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
In organising rides I do PM my mobile number to participants rather than posting it in the ride thread itself. I don't expressly seek assurances from those I'm PM'ing that they won't pass my number on but I think it's implicit in the fact I've sent it by PM

Having said that, my mobile is used for my business so it's known by loads of people anyway

Brandane

Legendary Member
Hi Classic,
How's things? I'm sending this by PM so that all those other nosey farking nobbers can't read it. Jeez; what a bunch of morons, and I reckon most of them have never been near a bike in their sad lifes. Nothing better to do but come on a cycling forum to moan about drivers, and discuss the same old pish over and over again.
Anyway, what was it you were asking about PM's? I don't know much about them, apart from how to send them. It's the button below this that says "post reply", I think.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I used mobile number because it can often be seen by people posting stolen bike reports and in classifieds.

If it appears, it doesn't stay very long.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I once had reason to ask this.
They're private. Mods can't see them.
I'd expect anything I said in a PM to remain private, but if it didn't I wouldn't be overly-bothered.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
you can see profile post (what's the point of these?) on peoples pages though are PM's different?

Top Bottom