PM's How Private?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I once had reason to ask this.
They're private. Mods can't see them.
I'd expect anything I said in a PM to remain private, but if it didn't I wouldn't be overly-bothered.
Correct, mods can't see them UNLESS a specific post is reported or they are added to the conversation. Just because it is private it can't be used to abuse someone.

As for sharing mobile number or address/information given in a PM with someone else, think whether you should, it may be information that the person didn't want passed on to anyone else. Easiest way is to ask first.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
What's the point of this thread, what's the actual problem?

Cos a load of us are in a PM group where we discuss how much we don't like you. We just want to make sure it stays private, that's all

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
PM's what? Are we discussing the Prime Minister here?
PM = Pee Myself. It's a limited-access forum used by incontinent members to organise bullying of those they call "drysters".

or it's Private Messages, which aren't called that on here any more, but are now "conversations" because recipients can invite others into the conversation unless you tick the box at the outset.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think it is fairly obvious that what is discussed in PMs is intended to remain private, but I would assume that it might not.

Some people just don't seem to 'get' privacy ... I once sent an email to someone discussing everything from my feelings about my dying parents to how distraught I was at the bust-up of my long-term relationship. I eventually went on to add a couple of photographs of a bike ride that we had done together. The recipient did not know how to save the photos to show to their mates so my VERY private email got forwarded to them instead! A different friend insists on broadcasting emails to virtually all of his contacts with our email addresses in the CC field. I have told him not to do that but he keeps on doing it. I don't want my email address sending to everyone in his address book!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Judging by some of the filth you've sent me, I'm not surprised you want to keep it private. Honestly, it would make Peter Sutcliffe wince

Do you realise how difficult it was to find that stuff? You have very, erm, 'niche' tastes. Luckily I used Brandane's credentials.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@classic33 someone having your number does not matter, you can always block them if they are up to no good. Same with email.
I'd be vary of sharing addresses with people you don't actually know in person.
Some, as in @ColinJ's example, do not realize how easy it is to break a confidence.
Of course, you should tell people not to divulge stuff, plainly, your usual enigmatic ways could be misunderstood!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've had a few 'conversations' with members here and have given, or been given, home addresses as stuff has needed to be sent or received. No point in entering into a sale or summat unless an address is 'trusted' to another member.
If I'd not seen the person contributing regularly to CC I doubt I'd share such details.
So far, I've not been let down in my trust of folks here, and hope it continues in the same vein.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I've had a few 'conversations' with members here and have given, or been given, home addresses as stuff has needed to be sent or received. No point in entering into a sale or summat unless an address is 'trusted' to another member.
If I'd not seen the person contributing regularly to CC I doubt I'd share such details.
So far, I've not been let down in my trust of folks here, and hope it continues in the same vein.
True, I forgot about buying and selling :blush:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ditto.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
PM

or it's Private Messages, which aren't called that on here any more, but are now "conversations" because recipients can invite others into the conversation unless you tick the box at the outset.
Which was said in the first post.

Try that last idea and see what happens.

Top Bottom