PM's How Private?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had a few PMs from someone who died. Amusing gossip and observations. Now that he has gone, that stuff is locked away for ever in a server somewhere. His widow presumably knows nothing of them unless he gave her his CC details, or CC gave them to her. Our conversations had nothing to do with his personal life but gives a humorous insight into his character. Should I print them out and send them to her?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Try that last idea and see what happens.
Or you could just tell people if it doesn't work like that, instead of playing the smug priest.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Judging by some of the filth you've sent me, I'm not surprised you want to keep it private. Honestly, it would make Peter Sutcliffe wince
I know this is just a gag and not ill-intentioned, but for anyone, and especially a woman, familiar with the detail of Sutcliffe's crimes, it is very jarring in the context of a light-hearted exchange. There are funnier ways to insinuate that your forum mates are colossal perverts.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
As has been mentioned up-thread, Conversations (PMs) are private to those included in the Conversation. They are invisible to the Mods and even to Shaun himself. :okay: Even when a Conversation is Reported, Shaun and the Mods are unable to see what is being Reported, as, unless we are invited into the Conversation, we cannot see what is being Reported. Conversations remain private unless other Members are Invited in.

The principle that one should not write something in a Conversation that one wouldn't write on the open forum relates more to the manner of speech, offensive language etc than the confidential nature of the details being exchanged. As far as I am aware, Conversations are still the most secure way on CC to exchange phone numbers, bank details, email addresses etc., as they are not viewable by anyone else on the forum, while Profile posts are viewable by any member of the public who looks on CC.

The issue of how the information (phone numbers, emails etc.) contained within a Conversation is handled ... well that is a separate matter and maybe could be best handled by a request/ instruction/ caution in the first post of the Conversation, making clear the confidentiality expected. :okay:

HTH :smile:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I wonder if @Shaun would consider making it possible to delete a conversation, or a post within one? At the moment all a participant can do is leave the conversation, but the conversation remains and others can be invited into it, possibly then to see material that a person might not have meant to be shared.

Is it not the case that if A and B start a conversation, B leaves and C is invited to join and joins.....C cannot see what has been said previously?

I actually don't know, never been in this situation

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is it not the case that if A and B start a conversation, B leaves and C is invited to join and joins.....C cannot see what has been said previously?

I actually don't know, never been in this situation
I would be very surprised if it did work that way!

Some people in a 'private' conversation could feel very embarrassed if certain other people were later invited to join that conversation ... (Put it this way - I have been made aware (by friendly members who thought that I should know what was going on) of some snide negative private conversations about me in the past ! You snidey backstabbers know who you are and I would just like to say that I am very disappointed - I expected better from you ... :laugh:)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It doesn't work that way, no.

Ah, OK....I will make sure that I don't put anything too salacious in a conversation then!

Having said that, most of mine are dull in the extreme....cycling routes out of Leeds, meet up times, gpx files etc...if people want to be bored then they're welcome to a copy

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Do people seriously send PM's to each other to purely bitch about other members, or have I been whooshed by @ColinJ ?!
Most PMs are probably business-like (exchanging phone numbers, names, addresses, bank details etc. - information that you do not want in the public domain) or personal (e.g. sharing details about recovery from illness) but some gossiping does go on. When you have a big collection of people, sooner or later they are going to start forming little cliques and going on about each other!

I have had a quick look back at the messages that I still have access to and the vast majority of them are about forum rides, a few are me answering questions that people have asked me, and several are about buying things from other forum members.

As has been mentioned up-thread, Conversations (PMs) are private to those included in the Conversation. They are invisible to the Mods and even to Shaun himself. :okay: Even when a Conversation is Reported, Shaun and the Mods are unable to see what is being Reported, as, unless we are invited into the Conversation, we cannot see what is being Reported. Conversations remain private unless other Members are Invited in.
So, are they encrypted on the server?

Top Bottom