Pointless job interview test/task

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My daughter who is at University went for a job interview yesterday as a part time receptionist at a gym. She had to do a interview, a written test, a presentation on one of the companies core value words and what it meant to her. Then here is the silly part IMO, she had to build the biggest tower possible out of balloons and sellotape. ( she managed about 6ft apparently)
WTF does that have to do with being a receptionist?
Anybody else been asked to do similar pointless tests or tasks?

Drago

Legendary Member
I once had an interviewer ask me to sing a song, presumably to demonstrate my willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

However, i chose to express the same willingess by getting up and walking out.

i recall reading recently that the interview process results in the most approriate candidate being selected barely a quarter of the time.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Only 6ft? FAIL!

Seriously, I suppose it is a bit of an off beat task but in a customer facing environment like a gym a suppose it could be argued that attempting the task enthusiastically could demonstrate a cheerful, problem solving attitude and also a lack of self conscious inhibitions that might make her less useful in the upbeat, highly motivated atmosphere?

Or maybe I am talking b0ll0cks?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Last job I applied for I had two telephone interviews (not easy at all), a face to face interview, an exam, a presentation, and another face to face.
After all that, I did not get the job. Maybe I looked exhausted.

andyfraser

Über Member
I once went to an interview where I wasn't actually interviewed. They pulled people in in groups of around 8. We did a group exercise then had to do a fake phone call followed by having to tell a story to the two "interviewers".

I suppose it got us to demonstrate certain skills (the group exercise was probably how well we communicate, contribute and work with others) rather than just sitting there saying we had them but it was still weird.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I once had an interviewer ask me to sing a song, presumably to demonstrate my willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

i recall reading recently that the interview process results in the most approriate candidate being selected barely a quarter of the time.

You'd be better off going out to the pub for an evening with prospective candidates.

You'd be better off going out to the pub for an evening with prospective candidates.
Absolutely.
Most pleasant interview I've had was in a pub over lunch. Company office was in London as as they didn't have a suitable interviewer they had a Chief Engineer living locally meet up with me. A few beers later and the job was mine.

pplpilot

Guru
Absolutely.
Most pleasant interview I've had was in a pub over lunch. Company office was in London as as they didn't have a suitable interviewer they had a Chief Engineer living locally meet up with me. A few beers later and the job was mine.

Happened to me too, the current role i have was discussed ove a skin full of real ale followed by a Madras.

Please tell us that you are kidding. There should a be a law against this.

Sandra6

Veteran
I applied for a job with asda a couple of years ago, they don't call it an interview, you're invited to an asda magic day along with about 20 other potential colleagues.
The asda colleagues running the session were late:angry: which peed me off somewhat. We had to show our ID, and then sit around listening to the four numpties who hadnt even managed to do that trying to explain why. Personally I think if you turn up to an interview with your daughters passport you deserve to be sent home.
Next we had to interview each other, and find out what the person beside us would do if they won the lottery and what sort of animal theyd like to be. Next was a group task building a lego tower and finding the "special" brick. Only they forgot to give my group a special brick. Pee'd me off a bit more. Then there was a lot of sitting around before a one to one, conducted in a room at the same time as five other one to ones. The whole thing was supposed to last 2 hours but ran over by over an hour, most of which I spent sitting in the college canteen twiddling my thumbs. I was then late for work.
When they rang me later to offer me a job I declined.

Dave7

Legendary Member
When I was nowt but a young lad (I'm 68 now) I was trying to get into sales and got an interview in Manchester. I sat down in front of these 2 guys and one simply said "I'm afraid your not suitable"....................I got up without a word and walked out.
In hindsight they were probably testing out my reaction and I was too young/inexperienced to react properly.......so they were possibly correct........but it did hurt!!

I applied for a job with asda a couple of years ago, they don't call it an interview, you're invited to an asda magic day along with about 20 other potential colleagues.
The asda colleagues running the session were late:angry: which peed me off somewhat. We had to show our ID, and then sit around listening to the four numpties who hadnt even managed to do that trying to explain why. Personally I think if you turn up to an interview with your daughters passport you deserve to be sent home.
Next we had to interview each other, and find out what the person beside us would do if they won the lottery and what sort of animal theyd like to be. Next was a group task building a lego tower and finding the "special" brick. Only they forgot to give my group a special brick. Pee'd me off a bit more. Then there was a lot of sitting around before a one to one, conducted in a room at the same time as five other one to ones. The whole thing was supposed to last 2 hours but ran over by over an hour, most of which I spent sitting in the college canteen twiddling my thumbs. I was then late for work.
When they rang me later to offer me a job I declined.
That sounds ridiculous, almost like someone who confused team building with job interviews. Both activities suck but a hybrid like that..... I hope you told them you want to be an ostrich and kick someone's arse.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I was asked if dead bodies bothered me when I applied for a little winter job at the Coop funeral directors.
I said no prob as long as they dont chase me...I just wanted to try an interview as id not had one for 30yrs.
lots of silly questions for a 20hr a week job

Top Bottom