Pointless things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Rutland. I mean, just pointless - its leicestershire!
:rofl: you try telling anyone from Rutland that and they'll be on ya, it might be in between 'me and thee' geographically but they're independent beggars

View: https://youtu.be/rGrjP8ltFgw

raleighnut

Legendary Member
But are you an Enderby? If not your foreigner at best an outsider!!
Any Enderbys still living there?
No it's a Quarry* village or at least it was, I'm a 'Young' (or at least my mother was) they're the largest family there. my Great Grandfather was the 'Union Man' for the Quarry and an early member of the Labour Party and also prominent in 'The Cooperative Society' which had a large 'Boot & Shoe' factory in the village which led to a lot of housing being built around it on the outskirts of the old Village, turning it into a small town (with 7 pubs)

* back then the Quarry made stone 'Setts' (Cobbles) and Kerbstones

http://www.enderbyeye.co.uk/history/

Scunthorpe and Grimsby, terrible names.
On the other hand Enderby and sub villages Bag Enderby and Mavis Enderby. Top names and lots of Enderbys still live there!

Humphrey Littleton, on 'I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue', explained the derivation of Nottingham, and how it used to be called Snottingham. The people, fed up with being known as Snotts, dropped the leading 'S'. He noted the fierce resistance to a similar proposal for Scunthorpe.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Humphrey Littleton, on 'I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue', explained the derivation of Nottingham, and how it used to be called Snottingham. The people, fed up with being known as Snotts, dropped the leading 'S'. He noted the fierce resistance to a similar proposal for Scunthorpe.
Whereas Leicester changed it's name completely from Ratae in Roman times. :becool:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
So you're from a long line of left wing troublemakers.

This explains a lot...
Aye but 2 of my Uncles were on the Parish council and a third was Captain of the local Golf Club (despite being a lifetime Labour voter) and his wife's dad was a Magistrate.

Enderby was always a thorn in Blaby's side (our MP for years was Nigel Lawson)

Aye but 2 of my Uncles were on the Parish council and a third was Captain of the local Golf Club (despite being a lifetime Labour voter) and his wife's dad was a Magistrate.

Enderby was always a thorn in Blaby's side (our MP for years was Nigel Lawson)

In "entirely pointless connections" I remember in one of my coursework pieces for theatre school I used the name "Enderby": I needed a name for a generic accountancy partnership for my main character to work at; I'd decided on "Spratt" as the second name and used a random zoom on Google Earth to decide on the first name. The monotony at "Enderby and Spratt" became a major motivation for him to later join up with a secret agent and go on the run.

I told you it was pointless. I was mildly criticised for writing a comedy spy story but I'd been reading tthe "Great classics" for months and you can imagine how deadly that was...

pawl

Legendary Member
No it's a Quarry* village or at least it was, I'm a 'Young' (or at least my mother was) they're the largest family there. my Great Grandfather was the 'Union Man' for the Quarry and an early member of the Labour Party and also prominent in 'The Cooperative Society' which had a large 'Boot & Shoe' factory in the village which led to a lot of housing being built around it on the outskirts of the old Village, turning it into a small town (with 7 pubs)

* back then the Quarry made stone 'Setts' (Cobbles) and Kerbstones

http://www.enderbyeye.co.uk/history/

I have lived close to Enderby for a good number of years I didn’t know it had a quarry or a latte shoe factory.Ibelieve it has or had a very good brass band.

As matter of interest were was the quarry situated?

Top Bottom