Pointless things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Most of the Cr*p I seem to have been hauling about in my bike panniers this week.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I've just picked up a hire car, and I'd like to add those... things... I don't even know what to call them. You need to keep it on your person and it automatically unlocks the car when you get close, and locks it when you walk away.

Why? What was wrong with a key?

Then they tell me not to leave it in the car... yet it's a small credit card sized plastic thing and there's a special place to put it - in the central console of the bloody car! Are they trying to catch me out or what?

And don't get me started on the lack of a flipping handbrake.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I've just picked up a hire car, and I'd like to add those... things... I don't even know what to call them. You need to keep it on your person and it automatically unlocks the car when you get close, and locks it when you walk away.

Then they tell me not to leave it in the car... yet it's a small credit card sized plastic thing and there's a special place to put it - in the central console of the bloody car! Are they trying to catch me out or what?

Ooh, that's a good one. And if you try the door handle just to check that its locked properly, the bloody car will sense the fob and unlock it. No one, anywhere, ever asked for this to be invented.

Alex H

Legendary Member
Ooh, that's a good one. And if you try the door handle just to check that its locked properly, the bloody car will sense the fob and unlock it. No one, anywhere, ever asked for this to be invented.
And if your wife leaves her's in her bag in the car, while you have yours in your hand, you can't lock the car:angry:

classic33

Leg End Member
Ah, but technology...
Copied from Robert H. Goddard's work though.

When Von Braun was questioned about his expertise, he said he learnt from the expert on the subject. Even using some of his designs.

classic33

Leg End Member
It was supposed to be a 'terror weapon' arriving as it did with no warning noise to let people take cover, luckily the Nazis couldn't make that many of them due to their imminent defeat.
It was also the prototype for the rocket designed to carry their atomic bomb but again luckily they hadn't time to develop that either, thank God the Russians and their weather defeated them in Hitlers attempts to secure the Oilfields. But for his incompetence they could have won.
And mosquito attacks!

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Birmingham City FC - An utterly pointless tin pot club that has and always will live in Aston Villa's shadow, better to put the poor buggers who support Small Heath out of their misery and convert St Andrews into a Peaky Blinders theme park, therefore allowing them to move over from the dark side and see the light :whistle:

stephec

Legendary Member

I had a company car with a key card and I liked it, it had a button on it so that I could make sure that it was locked as I walked away, but I always left it in my pocket when I got into the car and just pressed the start button.

One day I walked out of a factory in Glasgow and opened my car boot, I put my tools in and drove off. Halfway down the M74 I could sense the card wasn't in my pocket so I rang the factory and asked them to check around where I'd been parked.

They couldn't find it, so I now didn't dare stop the car as I might not get it started again, but I had a four hour journey home.

I pulled into Gretna services as I knew I'd need a break and got out of the car to stretch my legs (leaving the engine running) and for some reason decided to check in the boot, there on the boot floor was my key card.

What followed was similar to the scene in Fawlty Towers Gourmet Night when Basil abuses his Mini with a tree branch. 😂

That car also had an electronic handbrake, so no more going on Tesco's car park in the snow and pulling handbrake turns.

Top Bottom